Tuesday, November 4, 2008



It's Tuesdays with Dorie! Today we are making one of my own family favourites. Piggy from Piggy's Cooking Journal has chosen Rugelach.

The Rugelach looks like a tiny croissant, but couldn't be more different. The dough, laden with cheese and butter is ultra moist and rich. The filling has to overcome that and stand out with its own distinct flavour.

My Bubie made these as pinwheels and used many different fillings - peanut butter, shredded coconut, sliced maraschino cherries, strawberry jam. From eating them, I learned to love food. From watching her bake them, I learned to love the creative process.

I made two batches, one with raisins and the other with chocolate chips. There's a huge divide in our family and that's how we split. The Raisin Lovers and the Chocolate Chips on Everything People. Adults in the first group, young adults in the latter.

Sprinkled over the glaze, I used Lavender-Vanilla sugar sent to me from the Spice House in Milwaukee. You can see bits of lavender on the cookie.

These cookies were gone so fast I hardly had time to take the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.