Tuesday, November 18, 2008

TWD - Rice Pudding, Black & White


Today's suggested recipe comes from Isabelle at Les gourmandises d'Isa. You can find the recipe on her blog and enjoy her great photos.

Another week, another learning experience. I often find that my first time with a new recipe is not so successful. So it was with Rice Pudding.

Actually, most of the recipe worked extremely well. I loved the consistency of the Arborio rice and will definitely use this recipe again.

There was much discussion on Tuesdays with Dorie about the timing and resultant consistency of this recipe. All questions were put to rest when the eminent Dorie waded in and declared a typo in the cookbook. The rice is supposed to be cooked for 55 minutes. I did that and the rice pudding looked as I expected it to at that point.

Wanting to have it all, I divided the rice pudding to create the two suggested flavours. To one bowl, I added the suggested 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla and some delicious organic black seedless raisins. (Thank goodness for the raisins. They soaked up the rest of the milk.) To the other, 1 1/2 oz. semi-sweet chocolate shavings. (With no raisins, the pudding was a slightly runny.) Alas, the white was much overpowered by the vanilla and the chocolate likewise took over the other pudding.

I know only one solution to less that perfect flavouring - whipped cream. Everything tastes better with a dollop of fresh made whipped cream. And they did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.