Monday, December 1, 2008

The 12 Cookies of Christmas

I was surprised when the first recipe in the Food Network's 12 Cookies of Christmas arrived in my inbox this morning. Is it possible we are that close to Christmas? I need to bake! I need to freeze!

I opened the email eagerly. Alton Brown's Paradise Macaroons. Nothing could be simpler.

But what's this - ounces? On no. The bane of my baking life - metric conversion. How many ounces are there in a 300ml can of condensed milk? I have no idea.

I went to the internet and called up conversion tables, both volume and weight. I got out my calculator.

In the end, I tossed them aside and winged it.

Here is the result. Is it a meringue? Is it a macaroon?

It's a meringaroon! Luckily, it tastes much better than it looks. Crispy puff on the outside, chewy coconut on the inside and melted chocolate on top. I hope it freezes well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.