Tuesday, March 24, 2009

TWD - Blueberry Crumb Cake



We are a dessert family. There are five dessert-loving adults in my home. That's a lot of "sweet tooths" to satisfy on a daily basis. I spend my week making cookies, slab cakes, and lots of coffee cake. I always look forward to a new recipe.

This week's coffee cake is a keeper. A crunchy topping, moist cake, no shortage of tasty blueberries. Well done, Dorie!




I'm really enjoying these Tuesdays baking Dorie's recipes. This recipe is a perfect example of what I love about her style.

I have no baking mentor. My grandmother (Bubie - of the blog's title) whom I watched bake on many Friday afternoons, has been gone over 40 years. Of the many roommates I've had, none have been bakers.

When Dorie advises that flouring the blueberries will prevent them from sinking, this is just the information I need and had never gotten until now.

When Dorie points out that the curdled appearance of my batter will pass, I am pleased to read those encouraging words.

When Dorie playfully informs that less is more in the use of walnuts for the topping, I need no more reasons to follow her advice. She is right!

Thank you Dorie for putting not just your recipes but your baking knowledge into this book, Baking From my home to yours.

Also, thanks to Sihan of Befuddlement for this week's baking choice. The complete recipe and her baking experience can be found on her blog.

9 comments:

  1. Your cake looks great Clivia! I have learned so much through the baking groups and blogging in general.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are 4 sweet lovers in my home as well.

    I try to eat them in moderation....try...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks wonderful! We really enjoyed this crumb cake too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cake is beautiful! Nicely done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want a piece of that! I'm not a cake lover, but a moist coffee cake? Get out of my way! I'll brew the tea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It really was delish! Looks great.
    Thanks for letting me know what that tree is below. It is one of those things that I look at but never knew the name of.
    We have some buds on some trees, but nothing out yet, sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clivia, your crumb cake looks wonderful, beautiful color! Your weekly baking sounds like what we do around our house as well. I love the lessons from Dorie, it's so nice to learn new tips and tricks or reasons 'why' in a recipe, that's one of my favorite parts of baking along with TWD as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that looks really yummy! Yes, Dorie is full of little nuggets of knowledge that I had not heard before. Great help.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Other than the amazing desserts, I love learning all about baking! By the way.. I'm so jealous I missed the cupcake camp. Now I'll have to wait for the next one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.