Tuesday, March 31, 2009

TWD - Coconut Butter Thins



They're cookies, what could go wrong? I'm into my sixth decade of making cookies. I know how it's done. So why did these cookies not reveal their lacy understructure to me?

My Coconut Butter thins were definitely coconut-y and buttery, but not thin. Could my coconut have been so dry and old that it soaked up valuable butter? Maybe. Could the combination of nut meats - macadamia and coconut - have overwhelmed the butter? Also maybe.

Dorie included in this recipe the wonderful tip of putting the fresh dough into a large freezer bag and flattening it to 1/4 inch thickness. The bagged dough was easily moved to the fridge to chill. But it also meant that when I cut away the bag, I was unable to roll the dough any thinner. I love this tip and will definitely do it again, but I would use a bigger bag so I could actually get the 1/4 inch instead of the 1/2 half I had in the 2.7 liter bag.

Were my cookies were too thick to spread to laciness? Most likey. I don't think I'll know for sure until I make them again.

Thank you to Jayne of The Barefoot Kitchen Witch for choosing this delicious treat.

12 comments:

  1. I think your cookies look perfect! I wish mine wouldn't spread out every time I make some shortbread cookies...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking cookies. I thought this recipe rocked!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I actually wish my cookies came out like yours! Mine spread too much, I eventually just made them into little tartlets and filled them with ice cream! Gorgeous cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they look fantastic! Most of us were trying to figure out how to avoid spread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Queen Mother plate. I collect the coronation cups. They are just beautiful And so are your cookies. Well done. Mine were a little thicker too, but tasted just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how your cookies held their shape!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had enough laciness to spare...meanwhile, I was hoping mine would look like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look at all of your cute little cookies! I love that photo. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great cookies Clivia - I think, thick or thin, the unanimous verdict was that the TWD group loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well they look gorgeous! I liked these cookies more than I thought I would. I keep nibbling at them LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. YOur cookies look wonderful. I loved these cookies; they were so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look fine to me - mine didn't spread either. But they tasted great! I love that last photo!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.