Tuesday, March 10, 2009

TWD - Lemon Custard Cup



Ah, eggy goodness! There are many, many wonderful treats in Toronto for a foodie. Especially in the category of dessert. On my top five list is the custard tart. Yes, every reputable Chinese bakery makes them, but the true and best custard tarts are Portuguese. Flaky, melty crust and a filling just past jiggly.

When I took the first spoon of this week's dessert and tasted that mouthful of warm egginess, my palate was slightly confused and sought around for the flaky crust. But no, this was simply a cup of rich custard. And it was delicious!



This is a very easy recipe, taking minutes to make and not much longer to cool. It's high in protein and low in sugar. The version I went with eliminated the lemon and used a little over two teaspoons of vanilla. It gave the custard a very natural flavour. Throw on some fruit berries and it would make a rich treat for guests.

I fear today's leftovers having spent the night in the fridge won't be quite the same, but I think I can warm them in the microwave and try to get back their original softness.

Thank you to Brigit of The Way The Cookie Crumbles for choosing this lovely dessert. Please check out her blog for the complete recipe and some beautiful Mondrian-inspired photos.

8 comments:

  1. I love your blue coffee cup. I made mine into little tarts. It's a recipe I won't make again, but Im glad I tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved these too because of the protein and low calorie count! I think we're in the minority, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eggy and goodness. Together. In the same sentence? Just kidding -But i love your blue mug!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i actually didn't try it till it had been refrigerated overnight... next time i'll have to try it just after 2 hours in the fridge! glad you enjoyed this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad to find someone who did actually like these - besides me. I will try these again with different flavors. I actually like an eggy custard. Yours looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your custards look wonderful. I'm glad they were a success for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! I'm glad you enjoyed it! I thought it was a good dessert :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute in the little cups! We liked it too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.