Tuesday, April 14, 2009

TWD - Chocolate Amaretti Torte



It's not often that my eyes are bigger than my mouth, but that's what happened with this cake.

First, Dorie spooked me. Her description of the cake was "thin". That's not an image I want when thinking about my dessert. Then I looked at the recipe - amaretti cookies, almonds, eggs, chocolate. Sounds really yummy, I think I'll double the recipe. I got out my 10" springform pan. That's when my problems began.

At the top of this post is the picture of the completed torte. Can you see that doubling the ganache caused it to run down the cake, over the platter, onto the counter and head towards the floor? Well, I cleaned up the counter before taking the shot, but trust me, that's what happened.

The cake itself was RICH. Extremely RICH. It reminded me of an almond fudge. Not dense, but flavourful and filling.

Consequently, two days later there is still a quarter of a torte left. Unheard of in this house, except for slab cakes. The guys are crazy for this cake and are doing their best, since the women are less enamored and are picking at it in tiny slivers.

On the plus side, a couple of drops of almond extract makes whipped cream taste like heaven!

Many thanks to Holly of Phe/MOM/enon for choosing this torte!

21 comments:

  1. Ganache is such a tricky thing, don't you think? I always have such issues with it because it NEVER wants to behave and it will run down the cake and off of the platter. I think that you recovered nicely and your cake looks lovely! I agree with you, that almond cream is just delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cake does look super rice and dense. Btw.. where did you buy your cookies?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loblaws. In the international cookies section.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! It is so incredibly hard to find ingredients sometimes. I have no idea where to find natural cocoa powder.. it seems like everything is dutch processed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is the difference in cocoa powders? When would you use the other one? I go to the bulk store and buy the darkest one. It's always rich and tasty in cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks lovely even with the ganache mishap! Glad everyone is liking it even if it is going slowly. :) Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I laughed at your description of the ganache running all over the counter. Next time don't wipe it up. It's a good photo op ;) That last picture is making wish I had splurged on the almond whipped cream. Yum!
    Clara @ iheartfood4thought

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cake looks gorgeous and I totally agree with you about adding the almond extract to the whipped cream! WOW was that good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know that you can go wrong with double ganache. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious. I can't imagine trying to eat a double recipe of this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, a double recipe would be a lot of torte!! It looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks yummy. Wasn't the whipped cream the best?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The whipped cream looks and sounds so good! You're right it was rich though not as dense as I expected. I like a nice heavy chocolate cake - ha!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Double.... that's why yours looks as thick as my little 6" torte! What a great job - it looks fantastic. And you can never have too much ganache!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, looks fabulous! I'm really wishing I hadn't skipped the almond whipped cream. I bet it was great.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So funny that you doubled it! It looks great, I liked this one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks so delicious! I think I would have wanted to double it too since to me, "thin" means not enough chocolate. Next time, maybe use a bigger serving plate which may keep it from jumping over the plate and on to the counter. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks like a great fudge brownie. And when most of us are halving, you are doubling. Funny! Great looking cake.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Umm - overflowing ganache sounds good to me. I agree the torte is rich - I limited my office team to very slim slices. I'm pleased your guys wolfed it down!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your cake looks great Clivia - you'd never know about the ganache river (don'tcha hate cleaning up sticky goo??). Sorry this wasn't your thing - I just shared the love at work so I only got one fudgy piece.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.