Thursday, May 21, 2009

Holishkes (Cabbage Rolls)



I love cabbage rolls. (That's Savoy cabbage, with the bright green colour.) Plump and meaty, sweet and sour. A veg, starch and meat meal in a tidy package. I can't believe I've never made them. Then I went to the deli and discovered the current price of a single cabbage roll.

I admit it, I'm a foodie. I indulge myself and my family. Good dark chocolate, rich tea, organic meat - but cabbage rolls? I don't think so. I'm just not ready for the $7 cabbage roll.

So, off to my trusty recipe file, Epicurious.com where I found the perfect recipe Holishkes. It is reprinted from The Second Avenue Deli Cookbook, by Sharon Lebewohl and Rena Bulkin.

It's a straightforward recipe with the sweet and sour enhanced by whole chopped oranges and lemons. I knew the results would be delicious and they'd all be gone in a flash. The next time the craving came I'd have to start all over again. So I decided to double the recipe.

I knew I'd need help and enlisted my son. He took over the steaming and separating of the leaves and preparing the filling while I chopped the ingredients for the sauce.







The only change I made to the recipe was omitting most of the shredded cabbage from the sauce. There was still lots of cabbage. We were very pleased with the results.

2 comments:

  1. I've never had a cabbage roll, this sound very tasty and satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That stuffed cabbage looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.