Monday, May 11, 2009

Maple-Cornmeal Drop Biscuits



What do you do when you find yourself with a quart of the best maple syrup you've ever had? Drink it straight comes to mind. As does pouring it over a little plain yogurt. Though these are both tempting - I'll leave whether or not I did take a pure sip or two to your imagination - I went with a third option.

I made Dorie Greenspan's wonderful Maple-Cornmeal Drop Biscuits and then dipped them in syrup!

These were so simple to make. The addition of maple and cornmeal to a spoon bread made it taste like a crunchy pancake only so much better.

Here's the recipe:

Maple-Cornmeal Drop Biscuits
(from Baking from my home to yours by Dorie Greenspan)

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 stick (6 tbsp) cold unsalted butter cut into 12 pieces
1/2 cup cold whole milk
1/4 cup pure maple syrup

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Drop in the butter and, working with your fingers, cut and rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture is pebbly.

Stir the milk and maple syrup together and pour over dry ingredients. Grab a fork and toss and turn until the ingredients are mostly combined into a soft dough.

Use a tablespoon to scoop mounds of dough onto the baking sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes or until they are puffed and golden.

Here's my variation: Going for a stronger maple flavour, I used equal parts soy milk and maple syrup and added 1 extra tablespoon of flour. My recipe made 16 biscuits.

3 comments:

  1. I was eying this recipe as my pick for one of the June recipes, but I choose something else. I am so glad to know these are good. The recipe sounded great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thrilled you enjoyed my maple syrup that much! I am looking forward to making the recipe!

    Thea

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.