Tuesday, May 26, 2009

TWD - Chipster-Topped Brownies



Dorie is my hero!

Really, about certain things I'm easily swayed, so anyone who'd thought of topping a dense, fudgy brownie with a chocolate chip cookie layer would be heroic to me. In this case, it was Dorie with another perfect recipe from her cookbook, Baking From my home to yours.

Let's move on to the recipe. You're making chocolate chip cookies; you're making brownies. How many hands does one cook have? In my case, not enough. I enlisted my son to make the cookie layer or I would have spent more time preparing this than it would take my family to eat the whole batch.



How many ingredients are in this mega recipe? Alot, trust me. I tried to keep the cookie ingredients in the orange bowls and the brownie in the yellow, but it was too much. In the end I just piled it all on the table and got the photo over with, so I could get on with the baking.



Having prepared both layers, I carefully spooned the cookie dough on top of the brownie batter.

The result was a huge success. The brownie is rich and chewy, but not too sweet. The cookie forms a crunchy topping. If you're like my family, the corner pieces of everything dish go first. We like the crunchy corners. We like the first - and last - slice of a loaf. To us, putting a crisp topping on a brownie is genius!



Then there's my personal sweet tooth. When confronted with a brownie, topped by a cookie, only one way to finish the dish comes to mind. A dollop of whipped cream and Skor pieces!

Many thanks to Beth of Supplicious for this wonderful choice. Her blog entry for today has the complete recipe.

32 comments:

  1. LOL I'm glad you got a newly found hero! LOL ...and happy you enjoyed those, so much!

    The end result looks great, Clivia! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so, so happy that you liked these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look wonderful! I wasn't sure how impressed I was with this recipe until they sat overnight. Very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks wonderful! I got to enjoy some of mine with ice cream and and that was a real treat, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The recipe is genius, but your topping is even better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you made this even more over-the-top by putting whipped cream and Skor pieces on top!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved these too. So delicious. I couldn't stop sneaking bites throughout the day. I'm sure the whipped cream made it even better. I have to agree that I'm a corner lover too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you liked it so well. A little to rich for me (and I can't believe I'm saying that), but good. You toffee on top made me think, just imagine all the possibilities with different brownies and cookie doughs! Whew.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Really nice and yummy result! :))

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm SO glad these were a hit at your house! Keeping all of the bowls straight was a bit of a challenge. I have to thank you for you early photo posting...it really helped me know what I was shooting for.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad they were a succss for you! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your brownies look amazing, I can see why you liked them so much :) Dorie is a genius, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How cool that this dish made Dorie your hero and even cooler that she came by and read about it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love corners, too!!! Mmmm. Skor....

    ReplyDelete
  15. I couldn't get enough of these either! Yours look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you liked these, we loved them too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah, that reminds me. I'm a Skor fiend, so I put some Skor bits in my cookie batter - I definitely recommend it. And serving any dessert with a Skor bit garnish, as you did, is pure genius.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Glad you liked these. They look fab. The parts of mine that were actually cooked enough to be edible were quite tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You're so organized with all your ingredients out! I'm glad everyone liked them so much. Do you know they make brownie edge pans? It would be perfect for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am pretty envious of your organization. I am almost never that organized but you inspire me! I'm glad that you liked these, I liked them a whole lot, too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It was a huge success at our house, too, with the guys just inhaling them. They thought they were good warm (all moist and chewy) and then they were good room temperature (all firmed up and crumbly and nice) and from the refrigerator (all chilly and fudgy)...Top 5 for sure around here. Yours look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great looking brownie/cookie. It was almost too sweet for me. Glad y'all liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful brownies Clivia, and I am so glad that you enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, darn, how could I have not thought of whipped cream? Yummers!!

    I'm glad they were such a big hit and that they actually worked out for you. Seems like lots of folks had problems.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice job - your brownie/cookie looks great. Mine were crumbly too, but I didn't think to top them with whipped cream. Nice touch!

    Love the pictures of your garden and pups on your other blog!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your brownies look terrific! I'm so glad they were a success for you. I wasn't as lucky but still thought they were tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  27. So happy that it turned out well for you!

    I skipped the cookie part but made the brownies and they were YUM. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. great job. i love how you topped it w/whipped cream and skor bits - now you just need caramel sauce on top!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. These turned out great! I love all your additions.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.