Tuesday, May 19, 2009

TWD - Fresh Mango Bread



When I was a student, on Saturday nights we'd go down to Spadina Ave. and dance the night away at the El Mocambo, a sweaty basement club where local bands had local fans. Afterwards, we head over to Kensington Ave. for a late night snack.

Tiger's might have been the only Jamaican restaurant in the city, in those days. We sat out on the patio and had mango shakes and huge plates of ginger pudding.

Ginger pudding was a soft cake, so moist that when it hit your tongue in melted to pudding. There was, of course, ginger, probably mace, cinnamon, sugar, raisins, and something fruity. I wonder now if it was mango.

If I had more patience, I'd have a lovely photo of a symetrical slice of Fresh Mango Bread. But I have hunger pangs that rise at the scent of warm fruit in my kitchen. I gave the bread ten minutes on the cooling rack and then forced it out of the loaf pan. The result, two steaming half-loaves of warm mango goodness.



Oh, and I added a heaping spoonful of cocoa to get that deep colour. We enjoyed. Eat it warm, with a dissolving scoop of whipped cream and you will too!

The recipe is available at Kelly's great blog Baking with the Boys.

17 comments:

  1. I could hardly wait either.

    It smelled so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL LOL Hey... asymetrical can be just as delicious! LOL

    Loooove that polka dot background! Dish cloth???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, right? Warm fruit...it just puts me in a spot to throw everything out the window and just start hoovering everything into my face...

    Glad you liked the bread!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures look great. I'm jealous of your perfect mango chunks. A mango shake sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that photo of your sliced mango bread is so tempting! The cocoa did add some pretty color. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your photos of the mango chunks. A mango shake really sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mango bread looks great, who needs symetrical? :) The ginger pudding sounds delicious, what a fun memory!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That photo of the mango is so inviting, Clivia. And I love how you added cocoa powder, very clever! We loved this one warm out of the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad you liked it. I ate it out of the oven myself. Thanks for baking along with me this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A spoonful of coco makes the mango go down....(Sorry Julie A.)Genius!!! Looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks great! And the cocoa addition sounds very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your mango bread looks irresistable Clivia. Love the scene you set with the dancing and Jamaican food - makes me want to be there.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm often too impatient to get good shots of my desserts; I think yours looks great! And all that fresh mango? Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love those dots too!!! and what an idea to add cocoa have to remember that as well. I accidentally baked a little long. Can't wait to make again yumm
    AmyRuth

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the cocoa idea -- the color is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You had me drooling with the mention of ginger pudding.

    I want to eat that pile of sliced mangoes! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.