Tuesday, May 5, 2009

TWD - Tiramisu Cake



Coffee and the kitchen. Coffee and the urban life. Coffee and sitting in the backyard reading a cookbook.

Is there anything that coffee doesn't go with - doesn't improve? Nothing that I've found.

Now we come to Dessert. Not the treats that enhance coffee, like biscotti or crumb cake. But the ones that taste of the dark, rich sensuous bean. There's coffee cake, coffee sticky buns and the Grand Dame of coffee desserts - Tiramisu.

This week, thanks to the choice of Megan of My Baking Adventures, we got to experience a delicious variation, Tiramisu Cake.

How delicious! We loved this cake. The only thing that slowed its disappearance was its richness and how filling a small piece was.

A dense sponge cake, smooth ribbons of whipped cream and mascarpone, infused with a coffee and Kahlua syrup. You can see the striations the syrup makes as it seeps into the cake. I wish I'd made just a little more syrup.


And because my family has its preferences - chocolate chips on everything!

21 comments:

  1. Great tiramisu cake, I absolutely loved this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh your cake looks beautiful! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cake is beautiful!Love the extra topping and the chocolate chips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chocolate chips and coffee make everything better! Your cake is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cake looks gorgeous. I love this recipe it was sooooo delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, it's so pretty Clivia!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous cake! This cake was very yummy one of my favs from the book so far.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...this is really beautiful...look at that cake! You really nailed this one...looks absolutely decandent, wonderful, and elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You forgot to mention what a great pairing chocolate and coffee are. I mean, they're each great on their own, but yummy together. Your cake looks terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely loverly, Clivia. If I ever make one I hope it looks like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking cake. I love how you decorated it. My favorite part is all the chocolate chips sprinkled around it. Perfect job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your cake is AWESOME. Can I have a slice?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, I'm definitely with you about Chocolate Chips on everything! Glad you enjoyed the cake. Next time, there will be more syrup in the layers, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did I miss that? ...or did you post late? I don't think I could have missed such a beautiful one! uh! huh! nope sirey!

    Very nice, Clivia!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad it was a hit! I really enjoyed it too. Your cake looks perfect! Love all those chocolate chips.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The way you decorated your cake is just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yours looks great with all those extra chocolate chips. Mine needed a little more syrup and filling, but it still tasted great.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful cake! And nicely decorated. It looks delicious with the syrup seeping into the cake. And you're right. A cake like this could always use more syrup! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow - that's quite a showpiece! So glad you enjoyed this - I thought it was great too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.