Friday, June 12, 2009

Carrot Cake


I cut this recipe out of the local paper over a dozen years ago. It has been my standard carrot cake and has never failed me. It's moist, yet holds together nicely. It's not too oily or too highly spiced. I like the addition of honey.

Unionville House Carrot Cake
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
4 eggs
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 cups grated carrot
1 cup pineapple, with juice (I give them a whir in the food processor when I'm grating the carrots.)
1/2 cup coconut (optional)
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup walnuts


Icing
1 lb. cream cheese
1 cup butter
3 tbsp honey
2 tsp vanilla
4 cups icing sugar


In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and allspice.
In a larger bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat eggs, sugar and honey about three minutes or until pale yellow. Add oil, beating one minute.
Stir in, using a spatula, carrots, pineapple, coconut, raisins and walnuts. Add dry ingredients in three parts, mixing well. Batter will be quite runny.
Pour batter into three greased and floured 9-inch cake pans. Bake in a preheated 400F oven for five minutes, then reduce heat to 350F and bake about 25 minutes or until cake tester inserted into centre comes out clean.
Cool at least ten minutes in pans, then turn out on to wire racks to finish cooling.
To prepare icing: In a bowl, using electric mixer, beat together cream cheese, butter, honey and vanilla until smooth. Gradually add icing sugar, tasting until it reaches your preferred combination of sweetness and creaminess.
Spread icing on top of each layer and stack. Ice the sides if desired.
Makes 16 servings.


Who could resist a piece of this delicious cake?


Outtake - the Next Day!

7 comments:

  1. This looks like a delicious version of a carrot cake. I love carrot cake that has pineapple in it. I have never tried one with honey, perhaps it's time I did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That carrot cake looks absolutely fantastic! The ingredient list is full of terrific flavors - I bet it's delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite kinds of cake. looks de-licious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clivia,
    I love this carrot cake. It sounds like a caribbean carrot cake. The connection of pineapple, cinnamon and coconut looks perfect. Anja

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm, this looks like the perfect recipe, with pineapple, raisins, coconut, and nuts... which are mandatory, in my opinion.

    It sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely couldn't resist this cake! It looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. MMMMMMMMMMMMM this sounds incredible!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.