Sunday, June 14, 2009

Homemade Mango Sorbet


I love my ice cream maker! I've been having pints of fun for weeks. Eventually, even this hardcore ice cream lover needed a change. I went with sorbet and was not disappointed.

It probably would have had a richer flavour if I'd waited for the mangoes to ripen a little more.
But I couldn't didn't. It has a light mango sweetness balanced with a clean, but not sour, lime flavour.

On we go towards summer!

Mango Sorbet

2 cups of diced mangos, the riper the better
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 lime zest
juice from half a lime


Pre-freeze the bowl of your ice cream maker.
Combine the ingredients in a food processor and whir until well pureed.

Put the mango purée in the refrigerator until chilled, and stir again just before using. Taste and make any adjustments.

Turn on ice cream maker and pour the puree in. Let it work according to instructions. (I gave it a half hour.)

Makes about 1 liter.
I adapted this recipe from Chocolate & Zucchini. She adapted it from The Perfect Scoop, by David Lebovitz.

8 comments:

  1. I have a bag of mango pulp in my freezer, just waiting for this recipe. It looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sorbet looks and sounds very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds wonderful. I'm on the lookout for lower-fat things to make in my ice cream maker!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorbets are one of my favorites and this one sounds so good! I just recently discovered my love of mangoes so I bet I'd love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't get enough mangoes lately. This sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks fabulous and sounds very refreshing! I didn't really like sorbet that much until I made it myself; it's really one of those things that is so much better homemade.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mango is one of my favorite fruits... and this sorbet looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.