Tuesday, June 16, 2009

TWD - Honey-Peach Ice Cream


Summer Solstice. The longest day of the year. A celebration of the Earth's rotation. All organic matter making its natural progression towards darkness before heading back to the light.

We are all part of this journey. I open my eyes to bright light sparking between the curtains. Have I overslept? No, it's only 5:30am but night is long gone. The birds are in full-throated chatter. On the sill, the cat warbles back.


I step out into the garden. Every flower hosts a bee or bird or bug taking a sip of their day long meal. On a tree, yet small and green as an olive, a peach lolls in the sun. On the nearby fence, a squirrel salivates.

Like the squirrel, I think about the fruit and the honey-making bees and the sun's heat that drives them forward and I'm hungry too. Time to head to the kitchen.


Tommi knows how to celebrate Summer. Honey-Peach Ice Cream and a delightful limerick which you will find posted on her blog Brown Interior, under today's date.

I have never thought about owning an ice cream maker. I live in a big city. Ice cream is everywhere. On every corner, in every food store and restaurant. An ice cream truck drives by my house once a day all summer long.


I have learned so much from being one of Tuesdays With Dorie's bakers.

What is ice cream? It's cream and eggs and something sweet. So natural I'm surprised it doesn't grow on its own in my garden.

Could there be an nicer flavour than Honey-Peach, the two simmering to a sweet puree, then added to a rich custard and churned and frozen? I think not.

Well, maybe chocolate!

29 comments:

  1. This was a really lovely post to read, Clivia! And your flowers are so gorgeous! Glad you enjoyed the ice cream, it was pretty darned good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that last picture with a drop of ice cream almost dripping out of the bowl. The pink flower adds a lovely pop of color to the picture too! Glad you enjoyed this recipe. I know I did. Great job!
    Clara @ iheartfood4thought

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your flowers are always so pretty and they look really terrific next to your ice cream :) I'm glad you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha chocolate is pretty nice, but this honey peach ice cream is great as well! Yours looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hummm... I was wondering how come you had "Miel" written on your honey container... duh! I never even bothered to check were you came from! LOL Makes sense now!

    Okay... enough blabbing, the ice cream looks amazing, thank goodness for bigger protions in drinking glasses! Ingenious and very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your ice cream looks delicious and if ice cream grew in my garden I'd never go anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious. I want to wake up at your house. Sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. SEXY PEACHY photos there, young lady! I love them!

    Everyone has that nice soft orange color and mine turned out NEON ORANGE when I used apriums. Ha!

    FAB JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful post!
    I love the first picture of your Honey Peach Ice Cream - it looks delicious and the texture looks terrific! The pink flower is soo pretty too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. GREAT job. Love your write up and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I almost licked my screen to get that drop of ice cream before it falls. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What lovely icecream Clivia - your photo with the gerbera is gorgeous. You are making me wistful for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This ice cream looks beautiful in that little glass like that, and the flower just makes it look even more festive! I would eat that in a second...great job! Fun post, too, so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You found the pink flower with the one white petal! Laura and I were marveling at it the other day. Lovely post mom!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the flower in the pictures! Gorgeous ice cream and gorgeous writing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE this post! And that first photo of the ice cream and the beautiful flower just took my breath away.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your ice cream looks great. I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Isn't summer fabulous? And even better with some delicious ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your pictures are gorgeous. This ice cream was so summery, i loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for sharing some of your garden with us. Peach ice cream is definitely a great way to kick off the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Clivia, your post is fantastic !!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad you liked this, and I agree...chocolate still has it beat. I went on your gardening site by mistake first...OMG...your garden is SO amazing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this post! Your pictures are fantastic. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful flower! :) And you're right, this is perfect for Summer.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Did you buy an ice cream maker just for this recipe? That's dedication! It looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's a hard call--peach or chocolate! I love both. I particularly like the first picture you posted.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.