Tuesday, June 2, 2009

TWD - Cinnamon Squares


Cinnamon, coffee, chocolate. Three once exotic spices. Three delicious flavours. Each recalls its own traditional pastry. Cinnamon bun. Coffee cake. Chocolate chip cookie.

What happens when a recipe mixes these kitchen favourites together? A new and delightful taste is born. Surprisingly spicy, with a deep rich lingering taste. Call it a synergy, the whole being greater than the sum of the individual tastes.


The enjoyment of these Cinnamon Synergy Squares doesn't end with the taste. The cake is dense and satisfying like a muffin.

My family are nibblers and this is great dessert to nibble at. Those squares call out to have tiny slices and mini-squares carved out hour by hour throughout the evening.

I had only the usual glitches making this recipe. I didn't have an 8x8 inch pan, so I increased the recipe by 50% and used my 9x13 pyrex. This increased the baking time to just under an hour. I did not increase the amount of frosting from the original recipe and it covered just fine. The icing did seem to take a long time to set, so I added a tablespoon of icing sugar and it set up right away and was more the level of sweetness my family prefers. I also used soy milk instead of cow's and had no trouble with that.

This recipe, like every Tuesday here, comes from Dorie Greenspan's Baking From my kitchen to yours was selected by Tracey of Tracey's Culinary Adventures. The full recipe is available on her blog under today's date.

Go. Bake. Enjoy!

27 comments:

  1. Oooh! The ribbon looks wonderful in your cake! I really enjoyed this one and ALMOST ate it all myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad this worked out for you! It did smell Heavenly, but something went wrong with mine. Amazingly, my ribbon didn't sink LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks amazing Clivia! Mine took nearly an hour and I used the right sized pan. I love the pretty pattern in the ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH! WOW... the swirls in there are magnificient... almost like some grreat painting of an abstract master artist!

    Beautiful Clivia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, your swirl looks so artistic!! Did you plan it that way or was it a surprise?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ciao ! I think your cinnamon squares are really delicious !! You managed to swirl too !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great.

    I didn't frost mine. I went a totally different direction.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look fantastic. I love the swirl in them. Glad your family loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW CLIVIA (awesome name, btw) . . your squares look so so so so so good! Now please give me a piece!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These were fabulous! Yours are beautiful! Gald you enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice work this week, your cinnamon squares look pretty perfect

    ReplyDelete
  12. The most fun this week is checking out the ribbons of chocolate in everyone's cakes...yours are so interesting and fun! Looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love how your filling dances about within the cake. How did you manage that? These WERE good - and yours looks fantastic! Nicely done this week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your squares look absolutely delicious!
    Nicely done, love the swirl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Great photos. And yes, it's so easy to just keep cutting little pieces as you walk by......

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for stopping by. Lovely photos. Yours was definitely denser than mine,I assume because of the butter rather than the oil.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your 'synergy' squares turned out gorgeous! I really enjoyed your write-up too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, your Cinnamon Synergy Squares look wonderful! I'm envious of your cinnamon/chocolate middle layer - it looks so playful! =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your squares look great. I'm glad they were a success for you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad you enjoyed this. Love the swirl pattern in your cake. Looks pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those cinnamon squares look good! I like the swirls of cinnamon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, your ribbon looks nice! Glad that your family enjoyed. I'm definitely a nibbler too :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your new name for these squares! It is a perfect nibbling cake.

    ReplyDelete
  24. oooh, yours look so moist. Nicely done. I really enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for baking with me this week! I love the chocolate swirl running through your squares - it looks so pretty! Glad you enjoyed them :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love how "jumpy" your ribbon looks and your cake looks super moist. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I wasn't sure I would like the flavor combo either, but was pleasantly surprised!
    Nice job.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.