Thursday, July 16, 2009

Chocolate Sherbet


Summer sweets. I want one. Do I turn the oven on? Not today. Instead I turn to my trusty ice cream maker.

I have found that my chocolate ice creams have been more enjoyable than the vanillas. Is the rich chocolate flavour better at masking my poor skills than the vanilla? I don't yet know.

I know that I - and my family - love chocolate!
Happily David Lebovitz's website has recently posted the recipe for Chocolate Sherbet.

I'm reposting it here, but please check out his website for the original and all his other great recipes.

Recipe Notes:
I made one change to this. Because I was using 1% milk, I used 1 3/4 cups of milk and 1/4 cup of whipping cream.
I did use the recommended 2 tbsp of Kahlua and couldn't taste it at all, but noticed the difference in texture.
Also, I added peanut butter chips and mini-marshmallows.



Chocolate Sherbet

About 3/4 quart (3/4l)

You can use either Dutch-process or natural cocoa powder, using a brand that you like. (I like Valrhona for the former, and Askinosie for the latter.) Since much of the flavor depends on the quality of the cocoa powder, use a top-quality brand that you like.

A little shot of coffee-flavored liqueur augments the taste and gives the sherbet a more scoop-able texture. Feel free to use another liqueur, or omit it.

2 cups (1/2l) milk (whole, low, or non-fat)
1/2 cup (100g) sugar
pinch of salt
1/2 cup (50g) unsweetened cocoa powder
4 ounces (115g) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
optional: 2 tablespoons coffee-flavored liqueur, such as Kahluà

1. In a medium-sized saucepan, warm half of the milk with the sugar, salt, and cocoa powder.

2. Bring to a full boil while whisking, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 30 seconds.

3. Remove from heat and add the chocolate, the vanilla, and the coffee-flavored liqueur, if using. Stir in the other half of the milk.

4. Taste, and if the chocolate is a bit grainy, puree it in a blender to smooth it out.

5. Chill thoroughly, then freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Note: As mentioned, above, this would likely work with non-dairy milk, but be sure to use one that can be boiled.


7 comments:

  1. Yum. It looks delicious. I'll ahve to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Cow...that looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could this look anymore tasty?!? Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very very yummy Ice Cream a water is coming in my mouth ..................after seeing this first i am going to buy a Ice Maker after that i will.............. try thnx for such a nice post.............

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks wonderful and your additions sound great! I also like how you work in your beautiful flowers to the food pictures, just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! That sounds great. I'm liking all my chocolate ice cream creations better than vanilla lately, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.