Tuesday, July 14, 2009

TWD - Brioche Plum Tart

In summer, what does a baker bake? The kitchen is already sun-warmed. Bowls of fruit cover the counters where dough might otherwise be rolled out. The last of the chocolate chips were thrown onto yesterday's sundaes.

An answer comes in the form of this week's Tuesdays With Dorie recipe. Brioche is a dough that needs no rolling. All it requires is a warm room and a cold fridge. And it's the perfect vehicle for some of that fruit gathering "buggy" interest on the counters.

I've never made a brioche, even the word filled me with fear. There was nothing to worry about. This is as easy as a yeast dough gets, short of popping it all in the breadmaker.

It's not really plum season in Canada yet. We having been enjoying great apricots, so I used those along with some apricot jam I made a few weeks ago.


Mine didn't rise as much as I expected. The dough under the fruit was slightly mushy. I may have read "1/4 cup of jam" as 1/2 cup. I like jam, but in this case more wasn't better.

After reading all my fellow TWD bloggers' comments about other filling choices, I remade it again this morning with a simple chocolate, walnut and brown sugar topping. Now I can enjoy the true brioche taste - a little bread, a little cake.

Thanks to Denise of Chez Us for choosing this recipe!

Chez Us doesn't appear to have the recipe, but it can be found at Les gourmandises d'Isa. If you've never been there before, this is a great reason to visit a most beautiful blog.

30 comments:

  1. j'aurais dû faire comme toi, la faire aux abricots, car je les préfère aux prunes...mais j'avais trouvé des prunes au marché !
    belle réalisation Clivia :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, you made it twice!? You are adventurous :) I loved it, and bet it was great with the apricots. Love the sound of the chocolate in the topping too MMMMM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...I should have read the P & Q because that chocolate version sounds heavenly. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both the plum and chocolate versions sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did it twice, wow!
    Love the chocolate and walnuts version!
    I used apricots too.
    Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both sound heavenly to me! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chocolate and walnuts? That has to be the best combination yet. I bet that one is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice pick using the chocolate! Your tart looks very good and Im glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The both look and sound great to me, but I am kind of a chocolate person myself! GREAT job. I will definitely have to make this one sometime. I made a TWD Rewind cookie that I'd missed instead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your experience duplicates mine almost exactly. I used apricots as well, and loved it, but ever since I've been dying to make this brioche with a chocolate layer. I'm with you on the bread and cake combination!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh both versions looks so good. I'm so impressed with all the people that make their own jam. I'll have a slice of the chocolate one please. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm... very well done, Clivia!
    Huh? what? ...you want me to come over for dessert and coffee tonight? After supper?

    Ahhhhh... You're too nice....

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're awesome with your homemade apricot jam! The brioche looks sooo pretty with the apricots in them - love the color! I plan to try again since mine turned a little soupy, your chocolate, brown sugar, and walnut version looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. nicely done! that second one (without the fruit) looks soooo tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The apricots look great, but I really like the chocolate one too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love apricots! I actually used apricot preserves for my plum tart!

    Look at those beautiful colors on your first-ever brioche! Congratulations, it looks DIVINE!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't want to take undue credit, so let me say that it's Freezer Jam. Takes minutes, sits in the freezer until you need it, lasts a week in the fridge, and if you make as many jam-filled cookies as I do, it's quick and cheap!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Clivia, the chocolate walnut one looks exquisite - so golden and light and fluffy. Makes me want to redux this just to try it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmm, sounds good. I'd love to make an apricot one :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Apricot tart looks so pretty and bright and I also love the idea of the chocolate, nuts and brown sugar. I think I like that one best.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Both of your tarts look amazing but that chocolate, walnut and brown sugar version sounds so delicious!! I'm a bit late this week and am making mine right now so I may need to consider that flavor combination.

    ReplyDelete
  22. UUMMM!!!! Chocolate Brioche. Sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very fun to see the variations and the photos are to die for lovely and gorgeous...wow. Fun post...and great looking tarts!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That chocolate one looks like perfection on a plate, yum! I was fearful of brioche too, but this was really a positive yeast bread experience.

    ReplyDelete
  25. They both look delicious! I think I'd especially like the chocolate one. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh wow, you made two... and they both look fantastic!

    Very nice, I love how vibrant the apricots look.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yum, homemade apricot jam?? Who cares if it didn't rise!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Homemade apricot jam? Ahh, that sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  29. yum yum yum. homemade apricot jam! beautiful work

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.