Tuesday, July 21, 2009

TWD - Raspberry Blanc-Manger


What's for pudding?

Growing up, I loved British children's books. There were always high adventures behind the hen house or at the edge of a deep woods. Dolls, animals and fairies added their own tensions. Inevitably, there'd be a lull and the dewy damp and hungry kids would troop into the kitchen and demand "what's for pudding?"

I loved that sentence. Pudding! I was thrilled to think that somewhere in the world children had pudding every day. Growing up as an only child, my mother could barely be coaxed to prepare a box of Jello, knowing she'd have to eat most of it. Pudding? No way.

Now I understand that 'pudding' meant dessert. Any dessert. Yet, many British desserts do contain some element of pudding. One of these is blanc-manger.

Blanc-manger is a simple whipped cream and gelatin dessert. For a pudding, it should be a piece of cake to make.

However, I couldn't find gelatin at the grocery store. Finally, I spied a packet with a photo of pudding on the front. I trust pudding. I grabbed it and headed home.

At home, the cream is whipped, the milk and almonds are nearing a boil, and I reach for the gelatin and open it. Sheets? What the heck are sheets of gelatin? Forcing down panic, I turn the packet over and over, hoping for a conversion table - one sheet equals how many teaspoons of powder? But no. There are only pictures of happy pudding mocking me.

Okay, one. I go with one sheet. You know what - I guessed wrong. Below is one of the four photos I got of my pudding before it began to collapse.



By the time it made it to the bowl, it was more goop than pudding. Everyone still enjoyed the taste. It was fresh and not at all sweet. I made a chocolate cookie bottom crust which went nicely with the fresh raspberries.

Thanks to Susan of Sticky Gooey Creamy Chewy for choosing this recipe. I won't forget it!

By the way, does anyone know whether I can run this through the ice cream maker at this point?


I did it! I made ice cream. Its deep colour comes from the chocolate cookie crust I put under the blanc-manger. It tastes delicious. Very fresh, almost like gelato. Maybe that's because of the almond bits. Every scoop or so you taste the fresh raspberries and that's the real icing on the cake!

35 comments:

  1. lol ! Clivia ! c'est pour cela que je l'ai fait en petites portions car j'avais peur que ça se mette à pencher aussi, si je le faisais en entier !
    avec une croûte, c'est une très bonne idée :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo-go with the ice cream. Add a little cream/half and half/or milk--well maybe yours doesn't need it. Mine was really set up. It will taste yummy frozen though!
    Sorry it didn't hold for you. Great "What's for pudding?" story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry it fell on you but at least it tasted good. I say throw it in the ice cream maker and see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh. I love the puddle in the bowl. I never would have known that gelatin comes in sheets. So sorry it fell apart on you but it made for a funny read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would indeed, run it through the ice cream maker...

    I'm sure it is going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I am a scientist and I weigh everything ;-)
    1 tsp gelatin = 2,3 grams = 1,5 sheets of German gelatin

    Great idea to rescue your pudding, just a test for next week.

    Good luck for the next trial

    Ulrike from Küchenlatein

    ReplyDelete
  7. As always, funny story!
    I'm sorry it fell on you.
    Fortunately, it is still delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Running it through the ice cream maker was a great idea! Nice save!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I think you had tremendous success with it both ways - considering how delicious it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ice cream is a great idea! I bet it still tasted great even before the freezing :)
    Your raspberry picture is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great save! And I think I would have preferred ice cream anyway! ;)

    Interestingly enough, I ended up making strawberry Jello with mine. It was still tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your mistake turned into a great discovery. The ice cream version looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. When life gives you, eh, soft pudding, make, eh, ICE CREAM. Great way to save the day.

    Beautiful plate, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've seen a couple of conversions to ice cream. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL - I love the fact that you were innovative and made a delicious icecream out of it. The photo pre-collapse looks great! I have never used gelatin sheets either - wouldn't have a clue what to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a story with a good ending - ice-cream with all those lovely ingredients; yummy! I'm also in the dark about gelatin sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are brilliant! I can not believe you took your raspberry blanc-manger and adapted when the gelatin sheet was not enough. And a chocolate cookie crust to boot. I LOVE it! =D

    ReplyDelete
  18. After I saw the big bowl of raspberries, I just wanted those! So lovely. Your blanc-manger looks good, too, despite the gelatin mishap (I would not have a clue either what to do about that!) Ice cream...what a deal! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  19. sorry you had some issues but i love that you converted it to ice cream!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great rescue! I would love some of your ice cream please.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You and Katrina are awesome! Turning your blanc-manger into ice cream sounds really delicious since the blanc-manger is already light. The chocolate cookie base must have been nice bits in the ice cream too! =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an impressive save! I would probably pitched it in the garbage and you turned it into a new dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your photos of the raspberries makes me wish I had some more in my fridge to gobble up. You did a fantastic job with the blanc-manger - I would have panicked if I'd found sheets of gelatin when I opened the package! Oh, and the ice cream is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Okay, first of all, I LOVE the cake plate! Secondly, how amazing that you turned this dish around into something really neat. I love the ice cream creation.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love that bowl of raspberries! I've used gelatin sheets before, but they're difficult to find here. I guess 2 or 3 sheets would do, but that's just a guess. Bet the ice cream was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, I guess you're lucky you got that lovely photo before it collapsed. I hope you ended up running it through the ice cream maker; I did that with cheesecake remnants a couple weeks back and it turned out great! Oh, I loved British books when I was a kid too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, look at that sagging blanc manger. Darn that gelatin. In my opinion, the ice cream sounds like a much more interesting dessert than the blanc manger!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a GREAT rescue. I will have to remember that one. But it did look beautiful before it collapsed!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am DEFINITELY going to have to try this as ice cream! Gorgeous job! Glad you were able to salvage it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, too bad it collapsed, but at least you got ice cream out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh sad! At least everyone loved it, that's what matters most :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. LOL at the "pudding" comment--I know exactly what you mean! Those English are so sneaky.

    I'm glad your 'pudding' was able to be saved--I can imagine it made a deeeelicious ice cream!

    [And about gelatin sheet conversion--it depends on the brand/strength of the sheets, but in general I find that 4 sheets is about equivalent to 1 packet (.25 oz) of powdered gelatin. Bloom them in a bowl of cold water and squeeze the water out before using. Aaaand that's my two cents for the day...]

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh no! And I thought I had issues with this one! I tried to use gelatin sheets once and didn't get it right either. Your blanc-manger did look lovely for the time it was solid, lol! And, the ice cream was a brilliant rescue!

    Thanks for being a trooper! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love the idea of your chocolate cookie crust. And I'm glad that you enjoyed this despite the fact that it drooped. Bonus points for turning it into ice cream, too!

    ReplyDelete
  35. your invention is BRILLIANT! i loved this blanc-manger, but as i was eating it, i totally thought about how delicious this would be frozen...and you actually discovered you can turn it into an ice cream--love it! i'm glad you salvaged it, because wasn't it so good? (and love that you put it on a chocolate crust...mmm)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.