Tuesday, July 7, 2009

TWD - Tribute-To-Katharine-Hepburn Brownies


Curls floating as she strode across the screen. Trousers swishing. A poetic white blouse. All tied together by her wide smile and dark eyes. Katharine Hepburn, the Tomboy's Princess.

No scones or sponge cake or savarin for this woman. No artifice or icing. It's all about the chocolate.

This week's Tuesdays With Dorie recipe is Tribute-To-Katharine-Hepburn Brownies. They are an inspired tribute to a complex actress. A rich dark chocolate brownie, their flavour enhanced with coffee and a hint of cinnamon. There's the crunch of walnuts and, if eaten warm, the ooze of chocolate chunks.

One bite and I picture myself curled up on the couch, snuggled in a warm throw, a plate of brownies in one hand, warm cocoa in the other, and an old black and white movie on the tv screen.

Unfortunately, I live in the real world. I baked these brownies at 6am and the only reason there were three left after lunch was because I hid them away to photograph later.

If you have another go-to brownie recipe, put it aside today and check out this one. It can be found, under today's date, at Lisa's blog Surviving Oz. Lisa is the designer of Tuesdays With Dorie's charming new logo. She confesses to never having made a brownie from scratch. I think she's been converted now.

Baking Notes:
I used only one teaspoon of instant coffee instead of two.
I added only a pinch of cinnamon (less than an 1/8 tsp.)
I lined my pan with waxed paper which was a mistake because I had to pick it off the bottom of the brownies. Next time, parchment!
Also: I baked these again and noticed that when the recipe calls for 1/4 cup of cocoa, I automatically use 1/4 plus 1 tsp because I like the enhanced flavour. I realize that this is also a better way to make them less fall-apart-gooey than using flour, without losing flavour.

32 comments:

  1. beautiful! They look delicious - I love how you put the brownies in front of the picture of Katherine Hepburn - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that photo! The brownies and Ms. Hepburn look so elegant together! A perfect pair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post, Clivia. Weren't these the brownies to end all brownies?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your post. Your brownies look great!
    These are so good, they're addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These were tasty. I love you photos. Made me smile. I would love to curl up on the couch with some brownies and hot cocoa, that sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yours are much "deeper" than mine. I like that. And I like the look of the nuts, even though I decided not to use them...Maybe I DO need to try this again.

    Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the picture of Katharine and the browines..perfect! YOur post is darling, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tribute! I loved these brownies; they just might become my go-to brownie recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look wonderfully and sinfully delicious! Give me a glass of milk and I am a happy camper! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your brownies look wonderful. I love your tribute to KH.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wasn't Katherine beautiful? I love this photos...she would have been proud of your brownies. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous photos and gorgeous brownies Clivia! LOL at having to hide them for photos.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect! I love the photo of KH and the flower,too. I thoroughly enjoyed these brownies. But next time, I might cut back a bit on the coffee and the cinnamon, too. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the photos. These were obviously a hit in your house if you had to hide some!

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow sounds like they were a big hit! love the first photo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice post. She was magical! Quite a presence. Just like these brownies and I totally know about hiding them for self preservation. he he
    What's your favorite movie? Great job, loved them as well.
    AmyRuth

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've tried to leave you a comment several times today and it always shuts down my internet. Humph. Trying again. Love your KH tribute and the brownie looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aah, what a nice post. KH was a beautiful tomboy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely photos! I wasn't that excited about these brownies, but your post makes me want to try them again. And lounge around watching movies.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You're absolutely right... what we saw in Hepburn was exactly what she was: deep, mysterious, different, strong and without fuss... just like those amazing brownies.

    Perfect, Clivia!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice to know that about the wax paper vs. parchment...thanks! Love the photo, flower, brownie photo...a very nice visit!

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOVE the first picture of KH and her brownies. Great intro.

    Don't feel bad, I used wax, too, and they stuck terribly. Next time - parchment. And there will be a next time

    Yours look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You're right that these are all about the chocolate. So much so that I didn't add either cinnamon or walnuts. They were great that way, too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a great post :) And these brownies were unbelievable - I loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your brownies look terrific! Great tribute to KH :) I used wax paper too and things did not turn out well when it came time to get these out of the pan!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the photo with Katharine! She was quite the looker--as are your brownies. Gorgeous job!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your brownies look amazing. Great photo!

    ReplyDelete
  28. gorgeous photos! and i love your detailed description here--so poetic:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a lovely post, and the brownies look fantastic, too!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, Clivia, what a lovely post! A fitting tribute to KH. The photo, the rose, and THAT delicious looking brownie. I enjoyed this recipe also.

    ReplyDelete
  31. those look amazing- glad you hid some for photographing!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I think you captured the essence of these brownies perfectly, and all of the elements that make them unique. And I love that you put them in front of a photo of Katharine Hepburn!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.