Friday, July 3, 2009

USA!


Last week I spent four wonderful days in Milwaukee. I got to visit those great American icons - Whole Foods & Trader Joes! What did I come back with? Candy, candy, candy.

I had a great Mexican meal at Cempazuchi. It has quaint and comfy surroundings.

An excellent place to enjoy some ceviche.

And share a few mezcal shots with some imaginary, apparently fire-breathing friends. I'm not going to explain this photo other than to say I'm a Doctor Who fan, as are my imaginary friends.

On another night, there was an amazing sushi dinner at Izumi's.

I didn't get to try the local pub, but enjoyed the signage.

Every neighbourhood has its local tattoo parlor.

It was a perfectly relaxing holiday right until the last afternoon, when I fell into a hole and tore ligaments. Of course, there was only one cure - ice cream!

Thank you, Lisa. You're like a separated-at-birth sister to me.

8 comments:

  1. Clivia, I'm a little worried about you! In Canada, you have access to Cote d'Or, and you buy your candy in the U.S.?? At least you got to enjoy one of my faves, Ben and Jerry's. I hope you're healing and I'm so glad you had fun on your visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also Canadian, so I too have been dying to go to Trader Joes! So glad you enjoyed your visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, true Americana--that first picture! ;) Great timing on the post and Happy Belated Canana Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to add that Hindy had not had any mezcal when she took the picture of the mezcal. Her imaginary friends had, though.

    I would also like to add that our trooper hobbled the rest of the way to the theater to see Star Trek, not letting a little thing like throbbing pain stand between her and our movie outing. At least I was able to talk the concession girl out of a bag of ice.

    Come back soon! The Dogs Bollocks awaits. Await?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, the candy was for my kids. Trader Joes was awesome. We have great bulk stores here, but nothing compares to the variety on American shelves. I also got a bag of dehydrated strawberries, as well as some tea and the pistachio toffee I adore. I will be back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, you must be my kindred spirit. Whenever I go to the States, I load up on candy. In fact I was just eating some nerds that I bought from my last trip. Glad you had a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been to Milwaukee. It looks like a fun trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You see, I just can't get into American candy. It's too waxy for me. That said, 100 Grand bar is pretty awesome. It looks like you had a great time there even if you didn't visit the Laverne and Shirley brewery!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.