Tuesday, August 11, 2009

TWD - Brownie Buttons


Is being adorable enough to save a recipe from kitchen oblivion? In the case of Brownie Buttons - yes. These small, two-bite brownies look lovely on the plate. Sometimes it's good to have a change from the large, square, gooey, nut-filled brownies that my family expects.

I'll admit right off the bat that I made a mistake in using semi-sweet chocolate instead of bittersweet. Not nearly enough flavour for a brownie. Then there was the orange peel. What was its purpose? A distraction that might have worked better with a stronger chocolate. I'd like to try this recipe with chocolate shavings. It really lacked a "gooey factor".


I doubled the recipe because, well, if I'd only made a dozen two-bite brownies, the family would have mutinied. This gave me lots to play with while I held off the hungry "we don't need no stinkin' icing" hordes.

I iced them with melted white chocolate, dark chocolate and peanut butter chips. They all disappeared too quickly for anyone to have a preference.

Many thanks to Jayma of Two Scientists Experimenting In The Kitchen for choosing Brownie Buttons from our baking bible - Dorie Greenspan's Baking from my home to yours.

27 comments:

  1. They look great! I love your variety of toppings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the different versions you did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These weren't my favorite with the orange, but they were fun and gotten eaten up! I've got to try them without orange, but with pb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, they are really really cute! Great job with the photos and the styling here...very nice....and FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all of the different toppings you tried! They look so cute! I really liked these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH! Nice... I love the multiple choices! Those are lovely! I' sure you're a very versatile person... hey! you could be the dunkin donut girl of brownies! Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used orange cream cheese frosting on mine.

    I bet the peanutbutter would have been out of this world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the different variations. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great idea to double the recipe, great variations. You did a good job.

    Ulrike @ Küchenlatein

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the variety if icings! They weren't my favorite either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the different varieties of brownie bites -- how very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a plate full of fancy brownie buttons. Perfect with some milk! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Buttons look great with all the flavors on top and I left the orange out, because....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your toppings!!! I didnt use any orange either!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Totally adorable. I love all the variations. Can you send me some?

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a festive plate of brownie buttons, I love all the flavors of icing! I say big, square gooey brownies are the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! you get bonus points for toppings this week. They do look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  18. They were quite delicious and the perfect bite size!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! They look delicious!
    I love all the toppings!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ha! I know that scenario well. "Hey, which flavor did you guys like best?" Everyone stares at the empty plate with satisfied expressions. Hmmmm.... All of them?!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm impressed at all the toppings you made - all of them look wonderful! I'm sure they tasted great (even with the semi-sweet). It's chocolate after all!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You're the best wife/mom for making brownie buttons with 4 different toppings! Is that chocolate I see playing with the peanut butter topping? Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I want to make them with two topping colors and play tic tac toe with them!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yum...peanut butter!! All variations look delicious! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your variations look delicious! Sorry it didn't quite do it for you...these buttons seem to have really divided people.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm loving your variations - particularly the peanut butter one. Yum. I tend to substitute semi-sweet for bittersweet too, and sometimes it backfires.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love all the different glazes that you used - fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.