Tuesday, August 4, 2009

TWD - Classic Banana Bundt Cake


They say that an army marches on its stomach. My family is an army that marches on banana bread. Few weeks go by when no banana bread is made.

Here's our recipe:

Banana Bread

3-4 ripe bananas
1/4 cup melted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup chocolate chips
1/3 cup walnuts

Mash bananas in a large bowl. Add sugar, butter and egg and beat well. Sift in dry ingredients and just mix. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
Two or three tablespoons of cocoa can be added for a different flavour.

Pour into a well-buttered loaf pan and bake at 350F for an hour.


Our recipe has the minimum number of ingredients necessary for a tasty banana bread. It's never failed us.

Now along comes One More Ingredient - sour cream. Voila - banana bread becomes a delicate butterfly cake!

Mary of the blog The Food Librarian suggested this week's recipe. It was a revelation. My recipe is chewy and has that stick-to-the-ribs fulfillment one likes in treats given to a family with large appetites. This cake is moist and light and flavourful. It would not be out of place at high tea.

Earlier, I made this cake with walnuts and chocolate chips and it was fine, but today I wanted to show off the lightness and delicate crumb of the recipe. I used the dehydrated strawberries I got on my trip to Trader Joes in Milwaukee. (Have any Torontonians seen dehydrated fruit here?)


The result was sublime. Bananas and strawberry. If only I'd thought to make the lemon glaze.

30 comments:

  1. That is so interesting about the dehydrated strawberries...I have never seen those before, but will certainly keep my eyes out for those. Your cake looks just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ciao ! I'd love to find your strawberries ! The cake looks divine !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, the sour cream adds so much delicateness to this cake. I love dehydrated strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum great looking cake! I loved this recipe and I think the sourcream adds so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! Yours looks beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your opening. "My family is an army that marches on banana bread." Great line.

    Don't you love all the dried fruit at Trader Joe's? Your combination of bananas and strawberries looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. bananas and strawberries- sounds perfect

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks incredible!

    I'll have some with you and oh yes, tea! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks DELICIOUS!!!!!! Beautiful job and I love the addition of strawberries...YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh great idea to combine the bananas with strawberries! It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH!! I love the parfait made with the cake. How luscious!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very tasty and tempting looking. Love that last picture!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the addition of strawberries, sounds great. Banana is a major staple in my baking life too! Lucky you getting to a Trader Joe's, I haven't been near one yet in my outings to the States, too bad we don't have one in the T-dot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. j'ai déjà fait des fraises déshydratées maison, c'est fou comme le goût des fraises est accentué!
    alors j'imagine que ton gâteau devait être très très parfumé !

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks fabulous even without the glaze! Oh and yes, the batter was soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wasn't this so tender?! The dehydrated strawberries sound like a great addition. I didn't know they had those at Trader Joe's!

    ReplyDelete
  17. that was so smart to use dehydrated strawberries. This cake was super delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ooh, the strawberries sound delightful, it looks great. A Trader Joe's just opened a mile and a half from my house, it made me really happy. I was wondering what separated banana cake from bread, there's a lot less dairy in your bread recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Quelle bonne idée l’ajout de fraises déshydratées à ton gâteau!
    Really love the parfait, sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome. Almost never a week goes by that I don't make banana muffins (muffins instead of bread because they bake much quicker!). This Dorie recipe is certainly yummy and moist and mmmm! I want some more right now! ;)
    I boo booed and went out of town and left my computer at home, so I'll be posting a TWD two for one next week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing your banana bread recipe - I like how the chocolate chips are a main ingredient not an optional one!
    Your banana cake looks awesome as a trifle!
    (I exaggerated about my 'cast-iron' bundt pan - it just made such a loud smack on the countertop I figured it had to be heavy! It's a Nordic bundt pan.)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I like the strawberry addition. Haven't tried those yet. Your cake looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Banana bread strawberry surprise - very nice. I love banana bread too, and this cake was a perfect cross between banana bread and a lovely tender cake.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the strawberry centre - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The strawberries do look amazing in the middle there. I bet it tasted great!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm still here... yup! Staying to nag... LOL

    Was on vacation for most of the last two weeks, so I did miss commeting on your beautiful banana bundt! The addition of strawberries must have make it even more divine!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oooh, see, there you went and made something good even better. Nice job! It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I know this was posted a long time ago but you can find dehydrated strawberries at Bulk Barn. I just got some and I'm trying to come up with a recipe to use with them for a contest. Just researching people who have used them and how their baking turned out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.