Tuesday, September 29, 2009

TWD - Chocolate-Crunched Caramel Tart


Sometimes there's a fine line between dessert and candy. Today the Tuesdays with Dorie bakers explore that line. For me, the perfect candy has a gooey centre, a lttle crunch and a chocolate topping. This tart has all three. Then why isn't it my perfect dessert?

I'm having a busy month so I cut a corner and bought a pie shell. Homemade would have given this recipe a solid cookie to balance the gooey sweetness of the filling.

This is the third time I've made caramel. I'm getting good at it. It was simple and delicious and not too runny. For the ganache, I used semi-sweet chocolate which is the family preference.

The reason that candy bar makers use peanuts is so they can get away with using lesser quality chocolate and caramels.

Where I ran into trouble was with the nuts. I used Dorie's recommended honey-roasted peanuts. It was the dominant taste in the pie. I wanted people to appreciate my caramel but it was completely lost in the over-powering taste of peanuts. Next time I'd use something crunchy but subtle like pistachios or almonds.

Nonetheless, with a decent crust, quality chocolate and a sweeter nut, this would be a sensational dessert to serve to guests. Many thanks to Carla of Chocolate Moosey for choosing it. Please visit her blog for the complete recipe.

22 comments:

  1. Holy mama does that look good with the whipped cream on the edge! Yum..this was a GREAT recipe. Im glad you liked it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH...I loved this one.

    The caramel was fabulous.

    I found I had to much ganache

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a bummer about the honey roasted peanuts. I skipped the nuts altogether which was very good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great topper with whipped cream... adds a bit of the contrast it was lacking! Niiiiice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great. Sorry the peanuts weren't a winner. I went with hazelnuts and it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks great- worth a try with different nut selection I think

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at those layers of candy goodness! It doesn't get better than that, my friend! Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ciao ! i love your slice ! I loved the tart too, mabe too peanuty but as you said : sensational !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your tart looks awesome, Clivia. I'm hopeful to finish mine by the end of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Candy isn't dessert? Your tart looks wonderful. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I never thought of it that way, but I'm glad you pointed out the similarities between the tart and a candy bar.

    At least yours was more well received than ours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your tart looks wonderful Clivia - absolutely delicious. I liked the candy bar taste to this, but found it very rich.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so yummy even though it wasn't on the homemade crust! You hit a home run on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks so good with the whipped cream! I bet a change of nuts would make a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ugh...look at all of that gooey caramel. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the ring of whipped cream. I added a dollop of whipped cream to each slice before serving it. Yours looks divine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks fantastic! Sorry you didn't find it perfect. When you have time, I definitely recommend the crust; it's like a nice shortbread cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum-me! Any nuts would be fine with me. I missed this one as I was out of town, but WILL make it up! Would it help to just go with less peanuts?
    Having a giveaway on my blog since I had to miss this week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your tart looks gorgeously delicious Clivea. I didn't do the recipe this week. Todd hates chocolate and I am not really eating desserts so it would have been a huge waste for me. I can appreciate looking at yours though! I think walnuts or pecans would be nice in this. Much nicer than peanuts.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Interesting note on the nuts overpowering the pie...I never think of things like that, but I will now! Your pie looks great, and subbing the shell is sometimes a necessary thing, so I think you did the right thing. It all looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The whipped cream looks like the perfect topping for this tart! I'm sorry the peanuts were overpowering. =(
    The caramel looks nice and gooey - I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You forgot to mention that it was gone in record time. This means you should make it again!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.