Thursday, September 10, 2009

TWD - Chocolate Souffle


Apologies for posting so late. This has been a year where family matters have intervened at every turn. If I'm not driving someone to an appointment, I'm sitting around brooding about life.

What I learned this week is that when life hands you lemons, throw them away and make chocolate souffle. It's not very hard at all!

I say this after two attempts at the recipe. Like most people, I'd never even eaten a souffle let alone made one. I didn't have a souffle dish or anything of the 6-cup size. I decided to use teacups. Look at the beautiful sugar crust.


The first time I tried the recipe I completely overbaked them. Twenty-five minutes gave me something like a lava cake without the lava. I almost threw in the towel. Three days later, I decided to try again. This time I pulled them out after fifteen minutes not knowing what level of doneness they'd have reached.

The filling was still creamy but definitely set and heading for cake. We all thought it tasted just right.

This is not a recipe that will go into regular rotation, but I'm interested in trying the main course versions of souffle. I might even buy a proper dish.

Thank you to Susan of She's Becoming Doughmesstic for making me face my eggy fears.

12 comments:

  1. LOVE the teacup idea...and that sugary crust is awesome!!! You did a beautiful job, Clivia!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your souffles look so cute in the tea cups! Looks like your second attempt went perfectly! I really enjoyed this recipe - I had no idea souffles were so easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious. Great idea to make them in tea cups. I really liked this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your souffle is divine! Love it in a cup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun tea cup souffles! I think slightly underbaked sounds really good and your first photo makes it look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Clivia, I am with you. I would like to try the savoury version as well, especially now that I have invested in the souffle dish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sugar crust is beautiful and delicious - I love the crunch it gave. I definitely recommend trying a savory souffle, very satisfying and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good! You got to make it... twice! Indeed, I'd buy a soufflé dish if I were you, for you succeeded so well at it, you may as well make it often! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very creative to use cups. They should be just the right size.

    They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow--you tried it twice. I'm impressed. Your picture looks quite fudgy like I would like it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, try a savory souffle. They're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry that your first time making these didn't work out! It can be pretty disappointing when that happens. But the end result looks beautiful - using teacups was a great idea, I think.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.