Tuesday, September 22, 2009

TWD - Cottage Cheese Pufflets


I've enjoyed reading everyone's cottage cheese reminiscences today. Who knew that those little curds could spur such strong opinions. For me, cottage cheese is something I have always eaten. Growing up in a kosher Jewish home where meat and dairy were separate and served at different meals, using different sets of dishes and cutlery, it was a ubiquitous part of a dairy meal.

Summers, my grandfather would pick vegetables fresh from his garden - tomatoes, cucumber, carrots, green onions, radishes. My grandmother would wash them and slice them into a bowl of cottage cheese and top it off with a dollop of sour cream. Heaven in a bowl! In the winter, she would make cheese blintzes, a firm crepe filled with a dry cottage cheese and topped with - wait for it - a dollop of sour cream.

My favourite cottage cheese recipe is a simple one. Take a portion or two of cooked broad egg noodles. Fry them in butter until they are completely warm. Toss in a couple of heaping spoonfuls of cottage cheese. Gently mix the cheese into the noodles to slightly heat the cheese. Serve with either cinnamon or a dollop of sour cream. That's my comfort food.

Today's recipe is something I'd never seen before - cottage cheese incorporated into a pastry dough. It made a very tasty, flaky pastry. It would have been delicious as simple strips of pastry dusted with cinnamon and served with a little sour cream dipping sauce.

Instead, the pastry was rolled out (an adventure in stickiness), cut into squares (mostly) and filled with jam. They were a nice little turnover, but not in the same league as last week's Flaky Apple Turnovers.


For me, food memories are often the most happy. So for this chance to remember and share, I have to thank Jacque of Daisy Lane Cakes who chose this week's recipe. Please check out Jacque's blog for some awesome photos and a very funny story.

24 comments:

  1. It's so awesome that you love cottage cheese. I've never been able to get past the texture. But I looked past that and made this recipe. LOVED it.

    I loved how you described your experiences growing up...and the egg noodle dish sounds a lot like noodle kugel, except not baked.

    Your pufflets look amazing...I love how flakey yours look and that you got a close up of the jam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ciao ! I love your grandparent's stories ! In Italy we know only the no fat cottage cheese (usually for diets) so when I was in the states I enjoied all the different kinds !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok - now these look perfect! Absolutely perfect... amazing. And I love cottage cheese too - but have never used it in dough - a first! Love the filling variation - I didn't have that much time to play around, but I'm in awe of your flakiness - with the pufflets that is! And egg noodles... yes, they say "comfort"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sooo going to make that pasta recipe! It sounds delightful!

    Beautiful pufflets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, beautiful pufflets you have there! I definitely want one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pufflets are perfect. Love the post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like cottage cheese. My husband, on the other hand, can't even say the words without cringing!

    Your pufflets look perfect. I liked the dough and ooh, you're right, just the crust with some cinnamon/sugar--yum! Whenever my mom and I would make pies growing up, that's what we'd always do with leftover dough. Or drizzle honey on the baked pieces. Not sure I'll ever whip up this dough again since it was so sticky and hard to work, but it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not only do your pufflets look perfect, I now want to channel your grandmother and make some of those delicious sounding recipes! Cottage cheese is synonymous with "diet food" for women of a certain age in the U.S., and I think we avoid it for that reason. Your grandmother's cooking is a great reminder about how versatile and delicious it can be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, the cheese blintzes sound devine. Your pufflets turned out perfect Clivia!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All the great ideas you have over here this week! Such a fun read. All sound really good. Your pufflets look perfect, both inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. After sticky work, those turned out pretty darn cute! Nice duo of flavours too! Bravo, Clivia!

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look really nice! I wasn't fond of working with this dough, but I do like cottage cheese. I'm surprised at how many people don't like it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful, flaky pufflets, well done! I really like cottage cheese, but sadly these didn't work out so well for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, your pufflets look fantastic and very flaky!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohh, your little pufflets look great Clivia! I really enjoyed this recipe myself and adored my pufflets. I will be making these often!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oooh, I'm so glad your pufflets turned out and they brought on a nice feeling of nostalgia for you. Those homey recipes of your family's sound delish.

    Thanks for baking along this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cottage cheese is definitely enjoyed in your family. Thank you for sharing the different ways you enjoy eating it. I am curious and will have to try a few ideas you listed...yummy! LOVE you cookie photos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These were definitely not in the same league as the turnovers for me. Oh well, at least you can enjoy your leftover cottage cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  19. They turned out great! I like that you used a fork--I really should have because a finger push wasnt enough to close these things!

    I love cottage cheese too--but your innovations are rather interesting! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your post! It reminds me of all the delicious ways I used to eat cottage cheese when I was young. On toast. In blintzes. In pancakes. Your favorite recipe sounds like a quick version of kugel. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  21. reading everyone's blogs this week- there are some strong opinions about cottage cheese! Your pufflets look adorable

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your pufflets look just perfect! They look so pretty arranged on that plate. I may have to try some of your cottage cheese recipes, as I've now got half a tub to use up.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad yours worked out. And that you liked them

    It was a tough dough to work with. I liked the flavor, but not the overall pufflet.

    Great job - nice and brown.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Food memories are the best! And your pufflets look so beautiful! I wish I made them because they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.