Tuesday, September 1, 2009

TWD - Espresso Cheesecake Brownies


August has been an unusual month. A missed post, a late post and now a failure. I hope things will get back into routine in September. What I mean is that my husband has been on vacation for the entire month. We were either travelling or he was home and underfoot. Soon - oh please! - he will go back to the office and resume coming home at 5:30 when I will happily greet him with a hot meal and a sweet dessert.

With that introduction, I'm going to blame the failure of this recipe on a busy month. I've been distracted. The last of my loving heart went into last week's most memorable cream pie. I had nothing left to give these brownies. They gave me nothing in return.

I knew things weren't go well when I looked into the bowl and watched my brownie layer turn into a large hard lump. There's be no swirling of this into the cheesecake. And it was bitter. Next time, I'm going back to switching out semi-sweet chocolate for the bittersweet. I forged on.

I hoped the cheesecake would rescue me. It tasted fine. Then I added the espresso. Another layered turned bitter. I despaired.

I handed off the sour cream layer to my sous chef who followed the directions. Maybe if I'd intervened and tasted it before using, I could have added enough sugar to balance all the flavours. But no, I simply spread it on and waited for the pan to chill.

In all fairness, the three flavours definitely matured overnight. But I didn't. All I tasted was bitter, bitter and sour. I separated the layers, tasting each. There were moments when I enjoyed an individual spoonful, but I could never make the whole thing work in my mouth.

Oh, well! Hopefully, I'll get my mojo back in time to make next week's souffle.

Melissa of Life in a Peanut Shell thoughtfully chose this recipe. Please check out her blog for the most awesome photo presentation of a brownie!

21 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm sorry that these didn't work out for you! I didn't make that topping, as I was just feeling lazy and couldn't see the need. I'm sure you are going to get back in the groove without any further interruptions! Keep smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully your schedule gets back to normal soon! A helter skelter schedule can throw off anyone, so, don't despair, you'll be back to normal in no time!

    Your brownies look beautiful! I forgot to say that I used 2/3 cup of semisweet chocolate chips in my brownies, because I am not a fan of bittersweet chocolate. I also put the espresso part in the brownie instead of the cheesecake part. I can't handle bitterness...in any form, much less my food! hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It almost looks like you actually measured them to make them soooo even! WOW! Perfectly done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sorry it didn't work out this week. On to the souffle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you didn't like it- but like you said, maybe next week! I didn't like these either, but at least we tried them, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I left the coffee out but made the topping and loved them!Sorry you had troubles..they look good though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks wonderful. Sorry it was a dud. Hopefully next week will be better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, how did you get them so even? I didn't like them either but at least they look pretty, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know they're supposed to be swirled, but honestly, I think they look fantastic solid like that. A bit like Nanaimo bars. Sorry these weren't a hit for you - I know the feeling of having a too-busy month! I'm sure you'll get your mojo back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am scared now since I did not eat mine yet! I was hoping it would taste decent.

    I licked the sour cream topping and it was good, but not sure how it would all taste together in the end!

    Your brownies are definitely photogenic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no. too bad it didn't turn out for you. HEre's to a great September! Your brownie looks wonderful though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, your photo certainly looks great!
    Sorry the brownies bombed. I didn't care for them either--and I tried them three times. Oh well. I think I just don't care for cheesecake and brownie together-especially when the brownie is kind of dry.
    If I were you, I'd blame it on the husband! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry that these weren't a success for you. I'd never know from the picture, though. They look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry it didn't taste good for you...it sure looks pretty. I like the dusting of cocoa on the top, really gives it a nice finish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh no Clivia -sorry you didn't like them! However, they look perfect - pretty as a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't have much luck either but your brownies do look great. I think it may just be our taste buds.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sorry it was so bad !!! hoping for september... !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aww, I'm sorry these didn't work for you! I haven't made them yet but they sound so good. My baking mojo leaves me on occasion, but it always comes back. Don't worry, you'll be able to enjoy your kitchen without distractions soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. They don't look like a failure, not at all. I'm sorry they were so bitter, how disappointing. I also sometimes keep tasting when I really want to like something, sadly it doesn't usually work.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your brownies actually look really terrific! I never would have known they were a failure if you hadn't told me. Sorry they didn't turn out well. I hope September is better for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Never fear - the loving heart always regenerates.

    The brownie layer looks like asphault. You could fling chunks of it at pigeons instead of squishing them with your car. Embrace the bitter, and move on.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.