Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Breadmaker Creamy Rye Bread

If you walked into the kitchen and saw this:


Wouldn't you run to the Halloween candy bowl and do this?



To be fair to my son who made this lovely loaf, here's another photo.


It's his breadmaker rye, a family favourite. Delicious when warm and slathered with butter. Here's his recipe:

Creamy Rye Bread

1 cup water, heated to 110F (one minute in microwave)
2 tsp yeast
2 tsps caraway seeds
1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp butter
1 1/2 tbsp molasses
2 1/2 cups bread flour
3/4 cup rye flour

Put warm water and yeast into breadmaker and let sit for 10 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients and bake as for a 1 1/2 pound loaf.


7 comments:

  1. Nice to find your blog! I just got a book on making bread, which is kind of a fear of mine. I was looking at the rye bread recipe there too. Kudos to your son for making the loaf -- I'm not even sure whether mine would rise. I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kind of looks like an ewok if someone smashed its face in with a frying pan. Probably tastes a lot better, even if you buttered the ewok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the EYES!!!! Good sounding bread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rye bread is very popular here where I live, but I have never tried to make one, I even didn't know how to do that! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks really good Clivia. I'm going to have to try that one out in my own breadmaker! Love the pumpkins, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hah! So cute! Looks like a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! Great looking bread - and I am so impressed that your son bakes bread.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.