Tuesday, October 27, 2009

TWD - Cherry-Fudge Brownie Torte


Oh, fudge! This should have been the best recipe ever. Heaps of chocolate, mounds of cherries, a mousse topping. What happened?

As my waistline can attest, I love chocolate. I eat a couple of squares of 70% cocoa chocolate almost every day. I also love brownies. I really love fudge. I especially love fruit mixed into my chocolate.

There was too much chocolate in this recipe. Even though I left out two ounces that would otherwise have been added to the batter for crunchiness, the chocolate overwhelmed all flavour. And worse - it added no texture. Instead it sank the fudge/brownie, crushing the cherries and making it almost impossible to slice.

I also had a problem with the mousse. I used ricotta as an economical alternative to mascarpone. I felt that it never came together in the way I expected. Later, I looked up other mousse recipes and in every one the heavy cream had been whipped before being added to the cheese. Before taking my photos, I froze the dessert for an hour. Later in the fridge, it did stay together, but the taste of the ricotta did not compliment the torte.

If you've read this blog before, you know that I'd never let a little thing like failure stand in the way of success, especially when it comes to dessert. I scraped off the sour mousse, chopped up the cherry fudge brownie and got out the ice cream maker.


As an addition to homemade vanilla ice cream, this torte was superb! Each component - brownie, cherries, chocolate pieces - could be tasted and enjoyed. It disappeared right away and I made a second batch with the remaining torte.

For this week's actual recipe please check out April's blog short + rose

20 comments:

  1. Vanilla ice cream with cherry fudge brownie torte chunks, sounds like perfection. Sorry the mousse didn't turn out. With the mascarpone it was delicious. I love how you decorated your torte. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic Clivia !! It's such a wonderful cake !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The torte still looks absolutely gorgeous!

    I like your version better; chocolate torte and ice cream! Fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum that looks so incredible! I would not pass it up with the ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic! What could be better?! Your torte looked amazing--but I agree with you on the choc--would leave out the 4oz next go around. Didn't need it--just made it harder to cut!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So it wasn't a failure at all - simply creative re-engineering! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good save! I was thinking that this brownie would be good in ice cream, so it's good to see that it worked!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love ricotta. Sorry it didn't work. My brownie also fell. But it still tasted good. Like the ice cream idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice save! The cake looks great anyways!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks gorgeous Clivia - love your chevrons. I found the added chocolate chunks made it hard to cut too - thought it was just me! Man your icecream looks good. Good thinking 99!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That first photo looks gorgeous and delicious! What a bummer for it to have to be turned in to ice cream (sarcasm). You know I'm all for that, when all else fails, make ice cream! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your torte looks fantastic. Too bad it didn't work out for you...but you turned it into ice cream. YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so impressed by your will to transform a less than successful result into something wonderful!! Great job - I think your version with ice cream sounds yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your decorating job is amazing! It's funny, I had been wondering what kind of ice cream you could pair with this torte - love how you put the torte in the ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea what to do with the torte to make it better! I'll keep this in my mind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It did look picture perfect though, even though it didn't turn out to your satisfaction. Great save though with the icecream! That looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. HA! My husband asked "Where is the vanilla ice cream for this?". I am sure he would have been thrilled to see me bust out my ice cream maker. Sorry it wasnt what you expected!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for baking with me this week! I'm sorry you had trouble, but the ice cream is ingenious! What a sweet way to turn a lemon into lemonade. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very creative topping Clivia! Great thinking! Makes it look so much more classy..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your brownie torte is so pretty! Your chevrons look elegant! Sorry it didn't taste great as is, but cherry-fudge brownie torte ice cream sounds fabulous! =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.