Tuesday, November 24, 2009

TWD - Cran-Apple Crisps


One of the joys of Fall is fresh crisp apples. A favourite variety of mine is Ginger Gold. These are great eating apples with a creamy texture and a gingery bite that lights up the palate.

Inevitably, even with the best apples, there will be a few left at the bottom of the fridge that begin to go soft. That's when it's time to make apple crisp.

Dorie has a delicious and simple recipe that you can find at Em's blog The Repressed Pastry Chef.

Apple crisp is the most forgiving of recipes. It works with any set of ingredients. No cranberries - I used red plums. No shredded coconut - I went with crushed walnuts. Running out of sugar - I followed the lead of the extremely talented baker and blogger Chocolatechic - I added caramels. Brilliant addition. I loved gnawing gooey caramel off the spoon.

Either way, in less than an hour I had a dessert that was almost completely eaten immediately. Just enough left for breakfast!

19 comments:

  1. Wasn't it divine? I loved this, made it last week. I am actually making it again on Wednesday for dessert when we visit family. We'll see if this topping really does travel well, I'll assemble everything there and pop it in the oven while we eat dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your variation ! Beautiful Crisp :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your crisp sounds perfect for this time of year, and who can argue with the addition of a little caramel (or a LOT of caramel!)?

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOur crisp looks really yummy. Im glad you all enjoyed it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm, mmm, mmm. Makes me want the crisp again. And I've surely got to try Tanya's caramel idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks delicious! Plums sound great in this too! I never heard of Ginger Gold apples but they sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love how quick and simple this crisp is. It's definitely a quick fix dessert, providing you have the ingredients. I'm glad you enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ciao Clivia ! I would love to try those delicious apples ( and you wonderful crisp too !!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love having leftover apple crisp for breakfast! Caramel sounds like a fabulous addition.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made this this week, adding raisins but otherwise following the recipe exactly. Your variations sound delicious! And, it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Caramel instead of sugar? Um, yeah - that's perfect! Especially with the apples.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the plums, walnuts and caramels - great additions. This was a favourite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great substitutions! So glad you enjoyed it :) I love apple crisp but I found the cranberries made this one a bit too tart for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The crisp looks fantastic! Great subs, the coconut didn't really add much and caramel sounds divine, what a perfect addition.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks delicious! I've never tried Ginger Gold but I will if I ever come across it - I love all the regional apple varieties.

    ReplyDelete
  16. red plums and caramels? yum. i've never tried ginger gold apples- they sound delicious!
    great job w/this recipe

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks so good, it is a very forgiving recipe, and there are so many options.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks great. Love crisps. And with caramels. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.