Sunday, December 27, 2009

My First Cupcake Cake


Guess what Santa brought me? A Cupcake Cake Pan!

I made a cupcake cake. I used the recipe on the Wilton website for a Chocolate Pound Cake. I tweaked the recipe, using more brown sugar and substituting Greek yogurt for sour cream. The recipe calls for 4 1/2 cups of batter to go into the top mold. That filled the mold and the rest of the batter filled the bottom. Luckily it didn't rise too much.

Before starting I'd debated filling the bottom mold first and baking it for 10 minutes before filling and starting the top. In the end, I stuck to the recipe and after 70 minutes I covered the top mold with tin foil and let the bottom bake uncovered for another 10 minutes.

After cooling, both halves came out of the pans cleanly. I sliced each section in half and iced those layers as well as the layer between the top and bottom. I used a basic chocolate frosting.

The cake went to a party, so I didn't get an official slice, but there was lots when I evened off the layers and it tasted rich and deliciously chocolatey.

Going by what I read on other blogs, I advised the server of the cake to remove the top layer and cut it on a separate plate.


Here's my version:

Chocolate Pound Cake

•2 teaspoons espresso powder
•1/2 cup boiling water
•2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
•3 cups all-purpose flour
•1/2 teaspoon baking soda
•1/2 teaspoon baking powder
•1/4 teaspoon salt
•1 1/2 cups butter softened
•1 cups granulated sugar
•1 1/2 cup brown sugar firmly packed
•4 eggs
•2 teaspoons vanilla extract
•1 cup Greek Yogurt

Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease and flour or use pan spray with flour to prepare pan. In small bowl, dissolve espresso powder in water; stir in cocoa powder and mix well. Set aside to cool. Stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside. In large bowl, beat butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla; mix well. Combine cocoa mixture and yogurt. Add flour mixture alternately with yogurt mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating after each addition until smooth. Spoon 4 1/2 cups batter into top of cupcake pan; spoon remaining batter into bottom of pan.

Bake 60-70 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on wire rack 15 minutes. Turn cake onto wire rack to cool completely. To assemble cupcake ice top of cake’s bottom half. Place top half of cake atop iced bottom half. Decorate as desired.
Makes: 10-12 servings.

8 comments:

  1. WOW! That looks dangerously chocolatey! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute cake! It looks delicious. I've never heard of a cupcake cake (I know, I need to get out more!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute, cute, cute! What a cool pan. Santa was good to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had that pan but returned it because I wasn't sure about the quantity difference between the top and bottom. I'm glad to hear it worked out just fine, though. And it sure looks pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice ! I'd never seen one before !Ciao !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun present! That sounds like a yummy chocolate cake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute Clivia! A neat present put to good use - I love it. Hope you had a great Xmas, and wishing you all the best in the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the giant cupcake pans! If I had more room to store extra baking pans I'd probably have splurged on one. Your cupcake is fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.