Thursday, December 17, 2009

Poinsettia Cookies


Tis the season for Cookie Exchanges! I love to taste everyone's recipes and come home with a big plate of cookies that I didn't fuss over.

Now, some cookie exchanges can get pretty competitive. I'm not saying that mine is, but I did find this recipe a year a ago and actively hid it from everyone. I practiced, I perfected.

Truthfully, the recipe was already perfect. I found it on the blog of cookie paragon The Lives and Loves of Grumpy's Honeybunch.

I've included the recipe here, but you should visit her blog as well to see what she's cooking this holiday.

What I love about this cookie is both the fresh orange flavour and the texture which is more like a tea cake. I just can't stop eating them.

Poinsettia Balls

1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup honey
1 egg yolk
1-1/2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel
4 teaspoons orange juice
1 slightly beaten egg white (I used the yolk for this step.)
1 cup finely chopped pecans
1/2 cup red or green (or both!) candied cherries

Stir together flour, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg. In a small mixer bowl beat butter till softened. Beat in honey. Add egg yolk, orange peel, and orange juice and beat well. Add flour mixture and beat til well mixed. Cover and chill at least 3 hours or till easy to handle.

Shape into 1-inch balls. Dip in egg white (yolk), then roll in nuts. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Cut each cherry into six to eight petals. Place four or five petals on top of each ball and press lightly. Bake in 325 degree oven for 15-18 minutes or till done. Remove and cool. Makes about 36.

5 comments:

  1. There are so many cookies I want to try at this time of year but there just aren't enough hours in the day to make it happen. These look wonderful! Maybe I'll bookmark them for next year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clivia, they are so adorable and festive! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh - those look so good - and addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty - and how can you go wrong when there are nuts involved? Much prettier than the marshmallow domes. I agree, those need a thinner base. But then so do I.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These cookies are GORGEOUS!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.