Tuesday, December 1, 2009

TWD - Rosy Poached Pear and Pistachio Tart


Let's call this a "homestyle" version of this dessert. In other words, my pie looks nothing like the photo in the book.

I used cranberry and apple juice to poach my pears instead of red wine. Trying to get a rich colour, I over-poached them and they were a little mushy when sliced.

I still haven't mastered pastry cream. Fear of burning it led me to take it off the stove too soon. It never became solid enough and when sliced, the pastry cream just slid off the crust.

All that said, this was a delicious dessert! The pistachio cream tasted lovely with the pears. I boiled the pear poaching liquid with two added tablespoons of honey down to about 3/4 of a cup and used this sauce on each slice. It added great freshness and pulled the flavours together.

I'm definitely going to try this dessert again, maybe in the summer when I've had lots of time to practice my pastry cream.

This recipe was chosen by Lauren and on her blog I'll Eat You you will find the complete recipe and a lovely photo showing what the pie can look like.

17 comments:

  1. I think it looks great. Bummer that it didn't all work out, but taste is important! Pastry cream scares me a bit, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah for you for making it..I was so burnt out from TG I said forget it! I think it looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ciao ! I'm glad you liked it even if there were some problems ! I use a termometer for the pastry cream so I do not get anxious !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your tart looks a lot like the one in the book. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wasn't it delicious! I think your tart looks lovely, and the poaching in juice means it is suitable for the kids to eat too. It was this time last year that I first got to know you through TWD Card Exchange. So happy I drew you - I have enjoyed keeping up with you this last 12 months. Best wishes as you prepare for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey--that's not bad at all. homestyle = pretty, i think!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your tart looks delicious! At least you made it. I passed...made Dorie's Blueberry pie instead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your tart looks wonderful!! I loved this as well! Lots of steps, bu so worth it in the end! Great job on yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks so pretty. I loved the pistachios and your tart looks well covered with them, yum! I never know when pastry cream is "done" either.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the fact that you made this anyway, even short on time with the pastry cream.

    I didn't make it at all since I did not have the ingredients on hand nor did I had the time! Boo!

    Love your efforts and love the tart! I'll bake along with you next summer and try this recipe out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think your tart looks quite lovely! I thought this was really delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Honestly, I think your tart is beautiful! This week's recipe looks so wonderful on all of the blogs it makes me sad I didn't get around to making it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think your tart looks amazing!

    I never would have thought of cranberry juice to give the pears the rosy color...I'm not a fan of wine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was amazed that my pastry cream actually worked.

    And I like the idea of poaching in apple and cranberry juices. The right color without the wine taste.

    Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks lovely! I didn't even attempt it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Okay, I admit, I am a little behind in catching up with your TWD recipes these past few weeks, and before the sables I had missed THREE (never before done that) recipes in a row, but I just have to say that I might maybe should go back and make this one after seeing yours as I like how yours looks and I knew I didn't want to use alcohol or the little kids would not be able to have it, your solution sounds excellent. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.