Tuesday, December 8, 2009

TWD - Sables



It all begins with cookies. Home made cookies. In my Bubie's (Grandmother's) kitchen. A snail cookie with any combination of jam, coconut, raisins and peanut butter rolled up inside. Melting sweet and chewy. Heaven on the tongue.

After she was gone I lived in a wasteland of bagged cookies - chocolate chip, marshmallow, creme-filled. My mother was a modern woman and in the 1960s and 1970s women didn't bake, they shopped.

They say certain skills skip a generation. In my family that applies to baking, especially cookies. I guess that's why I'm Bubie's Little Baker. I love a homemade cookie, fresh and sweet, still warm from the oven. I'm eating one right now.

Sables are, to me, the holiday cookie. I don't make them the rest of the year, but for the next few weeks, I'll make dozens. With nuts, fruit, candies, candied fruit, rolled in mounds of sugar, maybe I'll finally try Dorie's version with parmesan cheese.

Dorie's recipe for the sable is delicious. It's buttery and sweet and crisp. If you would like this week's recipe, it's on the blog Bungalow Barbara. Please check it out. Barb's a great blooger and her photos are lovely!

28 comments:

  1. Very beautiful colors. it is Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cookies are gorgeous. I love all the colors. A homemade cookie is the only way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cookies are absolutely gorgeous! Your bubie would be proud :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cookies are the perfect holiday treat - easy to make, eat and give. What could be better?

    I'm curious about the savory version of these as well -

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all of your bright sugars!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how colorful your cookies are!! Too pretty! I stuck to simple and plain this go round, but will play around with colored sugars and flavors when I make them again (and again!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm loving that lovely color coming from the sugars. I agree...these are totally Christmas cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely post - so glad that you are carrying on Bubie's baking tradition. Lovely cookies - the coloured sugar is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your colorful cookies! This was the first time I made sables and I can't wait to try other flavors.

    Thanks for pointing out that I forgot to upload a photo of my cookies...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cookies are beautiful! I'll use colored sugar next time. My grandma made wonderful cookies too, and my mom hardly baked. If the baking had to skip a generation, I'm glad mine isn't the one that it skipped!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your sables are beautiful!!!! Nicely done! I love all the bright colors!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like how you got SO much sugar on the edges. That looks perfect for Christmas. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful bold colors. They are soooo pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great photo of your cookies! When I make these again, I will for sure use pretty colored sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your sables are so pretty! Your grandmother's cookies sound delicious too, it's fun hearing how your blog got its name.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "Wasteland of bagged cookies"--couldn't agree more. Your grandmother would be proud. These are so festive.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How festive and they look delicious. Great job! I visited friends who live in Toronto last summer and loved it, especially St. Lawrence market.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the colorful sugars...Nice job... No more bagged cookies!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post. Your sables look wonderful with all of their various colors of sugar :) So festive!

    ReplyDelete
  20. looks like you've got some fun sugar in your house!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those sables look gorgeous!! My love of baking comes from my grandma too! Aren't they the best?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! Look at those great colors!! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love all the different colored sugars! Your pictures make the cookies look mouth-watering, and all of your holiday variations sound divine.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, they look absolutely delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well, I have seen green ones and red ones, but I have to say that the inclusion of the yellow ones really sets them all off to the best show, doesn't it? They look pretty and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Best looking ones I have seen so far! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.