Tuesday, January 5, 2010

TWD - Tarte Tatin


This week we celebrate the second anniversary of our baking group - Tuesdays With Dorie. If you follow this blog you know that as a member of the group I'm baking my way through Dorie Greenspan's wonderful cookbook Baking From my home to yours.

Laurie is our Guru who conceived of and has managed this group for two years. She has this week's recipes up at her blog Slush.

Now I'm going to break with protocol and give out the recipe for Tart Tatin. I started with 8 good-sized apples, hard and sweet. I used Ambrosias. I peeled, quartered them and set them in a bowl of cold water.

This recipe is supposed to be made in an oven-proof pan such as cast iron. I don't have anything like that, so this is what I did. Using my new Paderno 12" Spectrum frying pan, I melted 1/4 cup of butter and swirled it around the pan. I added 3/4 cup of white sugar evenly over the surface. Then I added the apple slices, round side down, as neatly as I could. I put the pan on medium high heat and waited for the sugar to carmelize.

While the apples and sugar were cooking, I took a sheet of all-butter puff pastry out of the freezer. I unrolled it and then put it in the fridge.

By this time the apples had given off a lot of juice and were bubbling away wetly. I didn't think the liquid would ever evaporate, so I took out 1/4 cup of the juice. Then the apples and sugar began to carmelize.

Using my 9" glass pie dish, I carefully slid the apples into the dish. I topped them with the chilled puffed pastry and tucked in the corners. I put it in a 375F oven for 30 minutes, until the crust was a nice light brown.

After removing it from the oven, I inverted my largest round platter over top and, wearing oven mitts, I quickly flipped the whole shebang over - pie on top, plate on the bottom. Easy as pie.

Best of all Right Here you can see Dorie Greenspan herself expertly performing the plate flip. Her perfect and precise recipe is also on this page.

Thank you Dorie, not only for this recipe, this cookbook, but for all your expertise and good advice. If you haven't yet, please visit Dorie's blog In The Kitchen and On The Road With Dorie.

11 comments:

  1. This was SUCH a delicious way to celebrate the group's 2nd birthday!

    Your Tarte Tatin looks amazing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks perfect Clivia! I broke down and made this tonight. Couldn't stand not trying it too! Soooo much better than the cake I made. Maybe later I will post photos and a rewind on it. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad this worked out well for you. Thanks for the tip about pouring off some of the juice - wish I'd thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks very nice! I was surprised at the amount of juice that came out of the apples. Great idea to take some out - my apples were on the stove forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clivia, that looks wonderful. This was almost too easy to be soooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like a GREAT slice of the tart. I should have piled my apples higher. Nice to "know you" through this great group!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful tarte tatin! Dorie really looks like she's flipping with confidence in that photo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely tarte! I went with the cake this week (in cupcake form) but I really want to try the tarte as soon as I pick up the right size pan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks so yummy. This was my first time making a tatin, but I can't wait to make it again. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A first for me as well - but I'm so glad the pie plate worked! That's good to know - it looks nicely browned and caramelized! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking tarte! My apples also let off a lot of water, I thought they would never caramelize but the eventually did.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.