Monday, March 15, 2010

MSC - Lemon Meringue Cupcakes


If you've read my previous post, you'll know that it was my birthday and I made this recipe in my cupcake cake pan. I love my cupcake cake pan.

I've discovered that the best way to finish a cake made in this pan is to cut each layer in half and ice it as a four layer cake. Except in the case of this recipe. The cake didn't hold together at all, but began to crumble and break apart immediately. Oh, well. It was an experiment that failed.

Here are my children trying bravely to hold it together while I snap a photo.

There was no time to decorate it with lemon curd. Instead, I mixed the lemon curd with two cups of firmly whipped cream and used that as a frosting. I made the trusty lemon curd recipe that I've been using for years.
Lemon Curd
2 tbsp grated lemon rind
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter
3 eggs, lightly beaten

In the top of a double boiler over simmering water, combine lemon rind and juice, sugar and butter. Cook, stirring until butter is melted. Gradually whisk into eggs and return to top of double boiler. Cook, whisking for about 10 minutes or until thickened. Do not boil. Transfer to a bowl. Place plastic wrap directly on surface. Refrigerate for at least until completely cool up to 5 days.


This week's recipe was chosen by Megan of the blog My Baking Adventures. Please check out her blog for photos of the actual cupcakes. Martha Stewart has the recipe for these on her website. Right here.

15 comments:

  1. So cute. Glad it held together long enough to get a candle in it. Hope you had a wonderful birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy belated birthday -- i love that idea of the kids trying to help out while you snap a photo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya know, I wondered if this recipe would work well with my wilton giant cc pan since it was a bit on the dense side. But i think you've saved me the humiliation! heheh Happy belated bday and nice way to experiment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great lemon curd recipe, it uses whole eggs!
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I would have improvised on the lemon curd! Good idea. I found the cake a bit crumbly, too. But...the best part HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope it was a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy belated Birthday! I hope it was great! At least you tried! Sounds like a great birthday cake.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! What a great cake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that pan! Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday a little late.

    I want to try the silicon cup cake cake mold I got for Christmas, but scared.

    Glad it tasted goo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh, that giant cupcake pan is on my wish list. I love it!! Great idea to combine the lemon curd with whipped cream - I bet it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. happy belated! the texture looks marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE cupcakes & lemon meringue pie! I think I've died & gone to heaven. Lovely post hun.

    lm.x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Belated Birthday, Clivia!

    This sounds like a fantastic cake!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea to mix in the lemon curd. What a big cupcake! Love it! - mary the food librarian

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such brave children! Even though the layers didn't hold, the giant cupcake still looks delicious. And you can't beat homemade lemon curd (although I resorted to store-bought this time).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.