Tuesday, March 9, 2010

TWD - Thumbprints For Us Big Guys


First of all, thanks to everyone who sent kind words at the passing of my beloved dog. It means a great deal to know that I have warm friends out in cyberspace. Thank you.

This was a jewel of a cookie! Possibly my palate's perfect cookie. I've never been so glad to come home and find half my baking gone. I could easily have sat down and eaten the whole batch myself.

The main ingredients here are ground hazelnuts, butter, flour and jam. Ridiculously easy to put together. Hopelessly addictive. While photographing them I ate three (because you know you can't photograph the cracked ones, you must dispose of them) and was hooked on the crispy texture and the raspberry jam.


This week's recipe was chosen by the always funny Mike of the blog Ugly Food For an Ugly Dude. Please drop by his blog and grab the recipe.

ALSO --- It's my birthday!

It's been an incredibly rough two months, coming to a completely unexpected crashing end with Samson's death. So, I'm not really in the mood to celebrate. But in the middle of yesterday afternoon, I realized that I need cake and wouldn't have time to bake on Tuesday.

I thought I could multitask by using next week's Martha Stewart cupcake recipe and baking it in my cupcake cake pan. Well, not all recipes translate nicely from cupcake to cake. This was one of those.

This lemon cake is very moist and crumbly. I baked it an extra few minutes to firm up the sides. I thought I had it under control when, after cooling, I sliced into the bottom section to make two layers. The moment I placed that second layer onto the iced bottom, it cracked in half. I quickly continued icing and added the top layer. That's when the middle layer broke into four.

I never got to finish icing it. I just shouted for a candle, snapped a few photos and then removed the top. As my son said "It's a little cracked, just like Mommy."

We ate it straight from the plate.

26 comments:

  1. I also ate my cracked ones first - good thinking! Your cookies are lovely. I am glad you found a way to celebrate your birthday, even during a very sad time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cookies look delicious! I ate 3 and then gave the rest away, fearing I would eat them all too. So sorry to hear about your dog--it's so hard to come home and not have them greet you any more. And happy birthday! Your cake is almost as hilarious as your son's quote!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you liked the cookies! Happy Birthday, I love the cakes! Sorry to hear about your pooch:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to read about your dog. They're such loyal and wonderful companions. I completely understand that you wouldn't feel like celebrating, but your cake looks wonderful. Some cracks never hurt anything, and I bet it was really moist and delicious. Great job on the cookies, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wishing you the best on your birthday, all your heart desires!

    Lucky you... you had space this week with cookies (although amazing), to bake a b-day cake!

    Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Happy Birthday, pretty cake or not!
    At least you had these wonderful cookies! I thought they were great, too. Although I used Nutella in mine (as did many others). I'm super glad I only made half a batch because I'm about the only one eating them and could, like you, just sit and eat them all!
    Have a great day, Clivia!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I'm so crushed to hear about your loss. Dogs become such an important part of our lives, and our families. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad I'm not the only one who eats the evidence, Clivia. It has made me focus more on making things attractive or else I'd have to eat all of it.

    Your cookies look great with the raspberry jam...how I wish I had raspberry jam so I could make these again. I smiled at your lemon cake collapse. At least you had a yummy cake to enjoy for your birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday. I'm glad the cookies were a nice treat for you. Sorry that you have had such a rough couple of months. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday! Your cookies look yummy with lots of jam.
    So sorry to hear you are having a tough time.
    Blessings, Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday--Hope you found some happiness today. I always enjoy checking your blog. Your photography is so interesting, I love pretty. Your cookies look delish, buttery goodness. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So very sorry about your beloved Samson.

    Happy Birthday, and your cookies look wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday! Sorry to hear about Samson. Hope you enjoyed the cookies & cake. I also ate the cracked ones pre-photographing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those cookies tasted like ferrero rochers, but with raspberry instead of chocolate! They were very tastey, as was the "cake".

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy birthday! hopefully, things will get better from here. Glad the cookies turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday Clivia! Your cookies look great and your cake looked fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday Clivia. I have help with my imperfections. When I bake my family always surveys the batch for the imperfect or broken ones, claiming they are not blog worthy and must be eaten right away. I love your son's comment on the cracked cake. Loved the cookies this week.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday, Clivia! I hope you are feeling a bit better this week. Your cookies look fabulous and your son's comment made me laugh!

    Take good care of yourself!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday! I am so sorry to hear about your dog.

    Your cookies look delicious, I agree with you - they are so addictive!

    And that cake, all I can say is YUM :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy birthday a day late! You have to celebrate a little, so I'm glad that you made yourself a cake. It looks great with the candle on top. Glad you enjoyed the cookies too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Birthday! I hope the next two months go much smoother for you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I ate the ones that spread They were good, too. ANd with no filling.

    1. Happy Birthday. Love the cake. It SOUNDS like it was delicious.

    2. Your cookies look tasty.

    3. I am really sorry to hear about you pup. I know how devestating it can be.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Birthday. And my condolences regarding your dog. :-(

    LOL about disposing of imperfect cookies. That's exactly what I need to do instead of recycling to my hips! Yours look very inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  24. A very happy birthday! I hope you enjoyed the cake - I made a cake too! Copped out with just a few cupcakes though for the post. The cookies look wonderful - truly! Wishing good things in the coming months for you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cute comment from your son! Happy belated birthday! Hope you had a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy belated birthday Clivia! I bet the cake was delicious despite any cracking issues. Great job on the cookies. They look wonderful and I'm glad you enjoyed them so much :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.