Wednesday, March 3, 2010

TWD - Toasted Coconut Custard Tart and Honey-Wheat Cookies


No real excuses for a very late double post. It was a combination of the February blahs, the progress of my dog's illness, and my obsession with watching the Winter Olympics which completely threw off my sleep pattern.


These were both delicious desserts - one decadent pie and one healthy cookie. I had my usual self-inflicted problem with the pie. Once my custard starts to come together, I panic that it will stick to the pot even though I've whisking madly. I take it off the stove a minute too early and then it's a little too runny for a perfect pie filling. Next time I make it, I'll only use one tablespoon of rum. The taste was a bit stronger than I'm used to and it didn't mellow.


The cookies, on the other hand, changed considerably overnight. Out of the oven, they were sticky and very sweet. Overnight, the honey mellowed into a rich flavour. Of course, the thought of having to serve wheat germ to my family sent me straight to the chocolate chip bag. I'm glad I did.

The pie recipe was chosen by Beryl of the blog Cinemon Girl, the cookies by Flourchild. Please refer to their blogs for baking stories and to collect these recipes.

>

12 comments:

  1. They both look great! I love coconut so that really works. Like your hat! Pretty cool, eh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better late than never. My issue with the custard was taking to a too-thick stage rather than too runny. It thickened super fast! But was still very good.
    Way to get 'er done. I'm glad the Olympics are over, too. I don't even care about skiing and the like, but every time it was on, I couldn't stop watching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A two fer and the both look great. My custard was very thick, I had to thin is with a little cream. I enjoyed the Olympics, but I was ready to move on.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on both! The cookies look great with the chocolate chip in the center, and your tart (pie)? Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your chocky chips on top of the cookies. My custard had the opposite problem - it went from liquid to thick almost instantly, so I had a very thick filling - likely thicker than intended.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting how the wheat germ cookies tasted - actually quite good. Like the choco on top.

    My custard got thick quick too, but still good. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The tart looks great, nice and tall! My custard was very thick, I had to thin it a bit with some milk. The cookies look yummy, too. I think yours are the first I've seen with chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, of course you had to focus on the Olympics! Nice win at hockey. :) Both desserts look wonderful. I also had trouble with a runny, too-rummy custard, but it all worked anyway. And I think a little chocolate never hurt a healthy cookie - antioxidants, after all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was obsessed with the Olympics too so I can totally relate :) Both of your desserts look wonderful. I love what you did with the cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They both look great! My husband would have been happy with the chocolate on the cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They both look delightful. You always have that special little touch that just sets it all off so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those chocolate discs are WONDERFUL! What a great-looking, and I'm sure, great-tasting addition. It really finishes off these cookies with a bit of chocolate flavor. And that tart... mine was a flop - yours looks like a real winner!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.