Wednesday, May 19, 2010

MSC - Tres Leches Cupcakes


These were delicious! One of my favourite Martha Stewart cupcake recipes. I've never had any tres leches dessert, so came to these with an open mind.

The batter is one where the egg whites are beaten separately. This creates the light sponge cake that will absorb the milk mixture brushed onto it. The milk mixture combines evaporated, condensed and heavy cream. Not a recipe for dieters or the lactose intolerant.

After an hour of carefully brushing on the milks, I called it quits and let the cupcakes rest. I got half the mixture on. After letting the cupcakes sit in the fridge over night, I can see that I probably could have added more, though not all, of the milks.

The cupcakes are moist, but not soggy; tasty and not overly sweet. Just to my liking.

Many thanks to Lisa of Smiley's Sweet and Creations for choosing this recipe.

If you're leaving a comment here, please tell me what you're doing with the leftover milk mixture!

14 comments:

  1. i did use all of it (poured it onto the cuppies until they were drenched instead of the tedious brushing) but have some evaporated and condensed milk left b/c i made a partial recipe...i should have used some in the twd bread pudding...oh well

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed these Clivia! I think mine would have fared better had I not used all of the milk mixture. They got soggy and just had a really unpleasant texture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked them. I think mine were too soggy for me. Regardless, they were fun to make!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look great - and not too soggy, which is my worry. Now I have to make mine (late).

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi, you have nice blog.. u can view also mine..http://akoniwares.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tres leches is my favorite cake. I like the idea of cupcakes... there might be a (slim) chance of portion control that way, LOL.

    Yours look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I say not enough whipping cream was put on those cupcakes! I wish I had an idea for the milk mixture. Try drinking it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yours look really nice! I think putting in only half the milk was the key.

    ReplyDelete
  9. these sound and look delicious. i must try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. those cupcakes look so very very good!! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  11. 3 milk cupcakes - I am sold! They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I came to check out your ice cream pie, but these look even better! I love tres leches cake, but I've never tried it in cupcake form. I didn't bake (or freeze) along with TWD this week, but I did get a few more rhubarb recipes up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! I love tres leches cake, cupcakes make it so much easier to eat.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  14. i just got this book... I must try it now after your positive reviews :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.