Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Rhubarb Compote


I took the easiest route and made a rhubarb compote of simply rhubarb and a half cup of agave nectar. I served it still hot on buckwheat pancakes. No syrup needed!

I wish I had enough rhubarb to make half the delicious recipes I've seen in the last week. Two Peas and Their Pod has Blackberry Rhubarb Buttermilk Cake. She calls this cake rustic, but it looks very elegant to me.

Naturally, rhubarb has its own website. Savor the Rhubarb has everything from humour to a recipe for rhubarb wine. Their Rhubarb Sorbet looks divine.

Epicurious has my fantasy pie. Rhubarb and White Chocolate Lattice Pie puts a layer of crumbled white chocolate between the rhubarb and the bottom crust. Dangerously yum!

Here's a unique recipe from Blue Ridge Baker for Rhubarb Curd Shortbread Bars Work is required to make the curd, but I'd love to taste it.

The ultimate cake is surely Mary Mary Culinary's Hungarian Shortbread with Rhubarb Jam. It's a grated shortbread recipe. That's a technique I've never used but hope to try soon.

In all, it's been a great Rhubarb season. If I can scrouge a few more stalks from my neighbour, I'll try another recipe. Otherwise I'll have to adapt. Strawberry season is just around the corner!

2 comments:

  1. Your compote looks great, and thanks for all the links. I haven't baked with rhubarb in a long time, but I hope to make something soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Compote on pancakes - what a yummy breakfast! I made jam a few weeks ago but used most of it already. I'm hoping to snag a bit more rhubarb before the season is over too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.