Tuesday, June 29, 2010

TWD - Rum-Drenched Vanilla Cakes


Once again, cake. I am caught up in the moment. The cake is fresh, still warm. The house carries the aroma of sweet risen dessert. A task is completed and I await the satisfied smiles and compliments.

In hindsight, not all cakes are as successful as they seemed at the time. Last week's chocolate loaf is a good example. I praised it, but when asked, didn't hesitate to say that I wouldn't ever make it again. It just didn't deserve the label of "my chocolate cake".

This week's recipe absolutely is "my pound cake". Of all the variations on vanilla that I've made, it's the one I'll return to again. As promised, it's dense and moist. The vanilla and rum flavours are rich and very appealing.

I didn't actually soak my cake in rum, but just added a bit to the batter. This let the vanilla dominate, but the rum was still there.

I made this cake in my 12 cup bundt pan. It fit perfectly and was done in an hour.

The recipe was chosen by one of my favourite bloggers, Wendy of Pink Stripes. She's involved in so many baking groups that there's always a new recipe to drool over on her blog. Her lovely photos of this cake show it in all its rum-drenched perfection.

19 comments:

  1. What a pretty picture, the cake, the berries, the flowers...I want to be there! Lovely job, and this was a great cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, I meant fruit as I wasn't sure if this was nectarine and I typed berries by mistake...it's early, what can I say...it looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks perfectly delicious.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cake and its surroundings are gorgeous! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! That looks amazing! Love the touch of rum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, lovely - so summery with the peaches and flowers. Great job, and glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You must have a wonderful garden. You seem to always have pretty backgrounds!

    Anyway, your cake looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cake looks wonderful, especially with the flowers and fresh fruit. I liked this one much better than last week's cake too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is really good to know that this is your pound cake to go to from now on. I loved the dressy chocolate loaf, but I am addict when it comes to pound cakes. I haven't had a chance to make this yet though. Yours looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a bit before I drenched it in rum syrup and it was good both ways! Beautiful flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely, dramatic photo of your lovely cake! I wish I'd made mine as a bundt, it's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice to know it works in a bundt pan. My friends LOVED this cake. I didn't use rum or any kind of syrup. Just coarse sugar on top.
    Great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. your cake looks so inviting! perfectly golden :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. The cake must have been delicious with those nectarines! Beautiful presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your cake looks fabulous, love the pic too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely post! It made me want to make this recipe again, just to have the experience you did.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your cake looks great and it looks like your garden is doing well, pretty flowers. It's hard to repeat too many recipes when we have a baking assignment each week, but I will also make this one again.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely picture. I'm planning to make this again tomorrow, and wanted to do it as a bundt. I'm glad to hear that it works well, and thanks for mentioning the bake time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved this recipe too and I have a buttermilk (family fav) pound cake that I always make that I can't decide which I like best. I'll have to make Dories in a bundt and do a comparison. I love the sugary crust that forms ont he top of the bundt cake. Do you know what I mean? Anyway, I'm glad you found a "standby" cake recipe. That's is what is so fun about this process. We learn a bunch, huh?
    AmyRuth

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.