Tuesday, June 1, 2010

TWD - White Chocolate Brownies


They're here! Our little baking group has been waiting for months to make this recipe. At times the anxiety about when this recipe would be chosen, has been intense. Dorie's cookbook has an enticing photo of this square. (Though, may I point out that even in her photo the meringue has sweated.)

Well, what a week it turned out to be on the message board. Did anyone besides me have a positive experience baking this? I don't think so. I'd call this recipe a complete success and will certainly make it again when my unused egg whites accumulate. Here's how I made it.

I used my 9x13 pyrex dish which I alway line with waxed paper to act as a sling for removing the dessert. This meant I didn't have to flip the pan over and crush the meringue. (It deflated on its own.) There was a unanimous complaint that the centre was raw. To avoid this, after adding the eggs, when Dorie recommends beating three minutes, I beat for six, putting as much air as possible into the batter.

To further avoid any large wet patches I broke up my frozen raspberries into tiny pieces. This took away from the flavour but the berries didn't sink.

My baking time turned out to be 45 minutes. The tester never came out dry because it was being dragged through the wet meringue. So I went with my gut and took it out when the edges came away and before the meringue burned.

We found this dessert wonderful! The cake is so very light. Just the right amount of white chocolate sweetness with a hint of orange and raspberry and the undertone of the ground almonds. For a sharper contrast, next time I'll try chopped frozen cranberries.

This isn't a brownie, not even a blondie, really, but a cake square. Whatever you call it, give it a try. The fabulous blogger Marthe of Culinary Delights has the recipe up. She's turned these into heavenly cupcakes. Please go and read her blog.

20 comments:

  1. I also noticed Dorie's meringue was weeping but thought maybe they constructed that on purpose. Hm-m-m-m. Sounds like this was a winner for you! And I like your idea of chopping the raspberries. My husband thought the look of whole raspberries here and there was a little bizarre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally Clivia I read some positive feedback ! I still have to bake them and am scared !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done your brownies look great - wish I had read your post before I baked mine, I would have whisked the eggs for much longer like you did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your success. Thanks for so many good tips. For whatever reason, I ran into no problems but I did skip the meringue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad yours turned out so well and you love them.
    The only issue I didn't have was no weeping on the meringue. Sadly, mine were extremely underbaked. But I loved the taste of the cake on the edges that I tried. I really like the idea of cupcakes and I'd probably leave off the meringue.
    Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad you figured it out! Your bars look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad your's worked out so well. I was less impressed with them. I love the flower shot, so summery.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your brownies turned out wonderfully Clivia! Well done. Mine were in the not so great camp - but the recipients liked eating them (well, the ones that cooked) anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad these turned out well for you Clivia! My baking experience was fairly positive too, but I made quite a few changes to the recipe. I agree with you that these "brownies" were more cake-like than anything else. Yours look terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This had so many yummy flavors. It was excellemt. I will make it again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cake squares look perfect! The problems and questions section was very helpful this week, wasn't it? I think cranberries and white chocolate sound like a divine combination, good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. cake square, I agree with you on that one. Well. Yours looks great. especially on that platter. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your brownies look so beautiful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now you tell me all these helpful tips...after I completely wrecked mine in the transfer from pan to cutting board, etc. I need to try again with all your hints as there isn't a single ingredient in these I don't love. Yours look absolutely delightfully delicious and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bravo! I'm glad to hear this recipe didn't get the best of you... you might be the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm impressed that you knew when to take it out! Your brownies look absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They look fabuous. I'll make a note of your tip for beating the eggs for 6 minutes for the next time.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations! Your brownies look perfet. I think you are the first TWD baker I have visited that actually had success with the original recipe. Brilliant idea to beat the eggs longer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad you liked these, and you're not alone: I liked these too!! Yum! Yours look perfect, thanks for baking with me!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's great that these were such a success for you! I wonder if the glass pan helped them bake better. My mini-pan baked up fine, but they weren't my favorite.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.