Tuesday, July 13, 2010

TWD - Brrrrr-ownies and Ice Cream


Brrrrr is the chill you'll feel from these mint-laden brownies. The recipe recommends chopping up a solid type of mint patty. Of course, I glossed over this important information and went with a cup of squishy halved Junior Mints. They completely melted into the brownies. Though it was a gooey mess, the taste was delicious, like an entire pan-sized Junior Mint.

You can get the recipe from Karen of the blog Welcome To Our Crazy Blessed Life.


To continue the chilling theme, I paired it with Blueberry Ice Cream.

I often find, when I'm buying books online, that I'm a few dollars short of achieving that important "free delivery". When this happens, I turn to the clearance cookbooks. A recent purchase, in the under $10 category, is As Fresh As It Gets Everyday Recipes from the Tomato Fresh Food Cafe. At Amazon, you can peek at the breakfast recipes. The book is also available at Indigo Books.

As the title indicates, the recipes come from Vancouver's Tomato Fresh Food Cafe, a restaurant highlighting local organic food. At the website you can see their menu. Many of these recipes are in the cookbook, including the Bouillabaisse du Pacifique which I plan to try soon.

It's a gorgeous cookbook featuring fresh ingredients. Of course, I turned immediately to the desserts. I began with the Coconut Carrot Loaf and it was moist and yummy. Then I moved on to the recipe for ice cream which I'm including here. It's an ultra creamy delight.

Simply Vanilla Ice Cream

2 cups whole milk (I used 1%)
1 1/2 cups whipping cream, 33% milkfat
1/2 cup white sugar
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and seeds scraped
1/2 cup sugar
10 egg yolks

In a large pot, heat the milk, whipping cream, sugar and vanilla bean and seeds. Bring to a boil, the reduce heat.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar and egg yolks.

Gradually add hot milk mixture to yolks, whisking continuously. (This will temper the eggs, to prevent them from scrambling.)

Place back into the pot on stove on medium heat and bring liquid to 180F (82C), measuring the temperature with a candy thermometer and stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat a spoon.

Strain and place in freezer until cold, preferably overnight.

Churn according to the instructions on your ice cream maker. (Just before the churning ended, I added a sauce I'd made from fresh blueberries, agave nectar and cassis.)
Makes 4 cups.

15 comments:

  1. Junior Mints don't work...hmmm...I had thought about those, too, but went with the York b/c the guys wanted those. Good to know on the other. Everything looks like a party photographed outside, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would think the junior mints would work just the same? I bet they were good. I remember making Dorie's blueberry ice cream a couple of years ago and it was sooooo good. I wish I had a bowl of that right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A pan sized Junior Mint? SIGN ME UP!!!!!

    I am ga-ga over blueberries-that ice cream (and that cookbook) both sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm, I don't know that I would have paired mint and blueberries. But that looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know Amazon had that section...oh my that could be bad. :)
    The ice cream looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look delicious and ice cream with them makes them seem even better. Thanks for baking with me this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brownies and ice cream - always delicious! That blueberry ice cream looks absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The blueberry ice cream look delicious and I love junior mints, this was made for me.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been looking at a lot of brownies over the last 2 days...and now, all I want is that ice cream! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful blog..pls visit mine and be a follower.. thanks and God bless..

    http://forlots.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful blog..pls visit mine and be a follower.. thanks and God bless..

    http://forlots.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful blog..pls visit mine to,and be a follower..thanks and God bless..http://forlots.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Junior mints SOUND like they would work perfectly. Ah well. They still look tasty.

    TEN egg yolks. THAT has got to be RICH ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used Junior Mints too - they were sticky, but good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.