Tuesday, July 20, 2010

TWD - Lots-of-Ways Banana Cake


In my home, we are dessert eaters. In fact, after dinner my husband often asks "what's for desserts?" Note the plural. He's right to ask. There usually are cakes, cookies, ice cream and stewed fruits.

An item that appears almost every week is banana cake. My son and I have made pretty much every banana cake recipe that's crossed our path. We have our favourites. Today we add Dorie's Lots-of-Ways Banana Cake to the top of our list. It may be the perfect banana cake.

This recipe bakes a very light cake. Certainly, as Dorie encourages, it can be made in two round pans and iced as a traditional cake. Every time I've made this cake, it has come out light and airy. there's something about bananas in a cake that gives it a sturdiness, enough to hold up anything you want to add to the batter. Raisins are recommended. I used chocolate chips and they didn't all sink to the bottom.

Kimberley of Only Creative Opportunities chose this dessert. I encourage everyone to go to her blog and pick up the recipe.

Now, how did I photograph my plate of goodies seemingly floating in the garden amongst the flowers? Here's a behind the scenes shot. Say hi to my son.

And the gorgeous orange flower that graced us with three huge blooms this years? It's my namesake Clivia. Enjoy!

21 comments:

  1. Love the clivia-I've never seen that flower until now!

    Your cake looks amazing-this recipe is a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks marvelous! I loved it too, thanks for stopping by and bidding me farewell :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden is beautiful! I was highly impressed with this banana cake and will certainly make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cake looks delicious and your photography is wonderful! Thanks for baking with me this week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the flowers. What a pick me up this morning. Love that you used chocolate chips. I'll have to try that. Your cake looks just perfect in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute shot with your son! And what gorgeous flowers, too! I really think this is my new go-to banana cake. It's just so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the flowers...love the cake...love your son sneaking in the photo....mine are always doing that too :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in love with your gorgeous flowers!!!! Sigh!
    How lucky are you that your son bakes too?! Love your photos and your banana cake with the chocolate chips. The cake looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful flowers, delicious cake, fun son. What a great mix! I loved the cake and will make it again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adding chocolate chips is a great idea. I also think I like banana cake just slightly better than banana bread.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely flowers, and cute behind-the-scenes photo. Raisins would be wonderful in this cake!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The flowers are beautiful...thanks for including them. I believe they would like the cake as well. JK I love the idea of Choco Chips. Great idea.
    You are the banana cake guru so now we know the truth about this recipe. Its a keeper then.
    Nicely Done!
    AmyRuth

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your cake looks yummy and the flowers are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "What's for desserts?" I would be very happy in your house with multiple desserts every night!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, banana cake every week! Your are lucky. I loved this with chocolate chips

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful flowers. Is it a type of amarylis? This was a great cake. Definitely a repeat.

    Hi to Son!! I have one of those too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the photos. Loved this cake! Love the chocolate addition. Love dessert(s), too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I confess, I'm not sure if I come to visit to see the food photos or the flowers in the food photos. I think it might be the flowers because they are my favorite things and the food is well, food, and it's nice to see, but the flowers make me break out in a smile each and every time. The cake looks terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the pictures, so pretty! Your cake looks amazingly good. This recipe was so so good!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oooh, you have a photography assistant, lucky you. LOL. Your cake looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.