Tuesday, August 24, 2010

TWD - Crunchy and Custardy Peach Tart


It's pie season! Get out your fluted pans and deep dish pyrex; sharpen your paring knives. I love homemade pie. All those layers of fresh fruit bursting with juicy flavour. The flaky crust enveloping it all.

This year's pie-making fest opens with Dorie's peach tart. It has a crunchy sweet crust, one layer of thin sliced peaches and a simple custard. An unexpected first pie. Really, just a tease of a pie.


One day I'll bake a really good crust. This wasn't that day. I'm getting better at not over-handling the dough but I still make the bottom layer too thick. I just never believe that it will support the filling if it's not the density of a cookie. And I over-baked it.

Despite its short-comings, the crust was crumbly and delicious. The filling didn't have enough spark for me. I wanted more of those peaches I so carefully blanched and peeled. The custard, though I added the almond extract, seemed flavourless.

So, not my best pie. I could see making it again with more fruit and maybe a layer of broken almonds on the bottom.

This week's recipe was chosen by Rachel and you can find it on her blog Sweet Tarte.

Here's a do over of last week's awesome oatmeal bread. After reading all the mouth-watering variations, I made the loaf using hazelnuts and dried cranberries. Then I topped it with David Lebovitz's Toffee Glaze (recipe below photo). I think this cake speaks for itself. Don't you want a piece right now?



Toffee Glaze
2 tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into pieces
3 tbsp. dark brown sugar
3 tbsp. heavy cream
Big pinch of salt
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

To make the glaze, in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the 2 tbsp. butter with the dark brown sugar, cream and salt. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil, then decrease the heat to medium and simmer gently for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and let cool completely. Once cool, stir in the 1/4 tsp. vanilla. Spoon the glaze over the cake, encouraging some to drip down the sides.

17 comments:

  1. The tart sure looks pretty with the dusting of pwd. sugar. And you definitely redeemed yourself with the oatmeal bread! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tart is lovely! And omg that toffee glaze--wow! Thanks for baking with me this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These both look amazing...you're inspiring me to take another go at the oatmeal bread!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm bummer that it didn't have that spark. It looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking about what to say about your beauty of a tart and then I saw the toffee glaze and that won, the day.

    I must use that on something. Your oatmeal bread is a winner. So is the peach tart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um hello toffee glaze!

    your tart looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am drooling over your toffee glaze on the oatmeal bread! YUM! Your tart looks fantastic and delicious. I am sorry the flavor was not as good as you would have liked it but great job putting the recipe together!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I do want a piece of that bread right now. The toffee glaze sounds luxurious and decadent!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I felt the exact same way... on all points! I thought I was going to love it more. Your oatmeal loaf looks and sounds delish. That recipe is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the tart more. I had the same problems with it--I definitely wanted more peach and less custard. As for the toffee sauce on your oatmeal bread, I _love_ that stuff. I made the DL plum cake a second time mostly because I loved the streusel and glaze so much. I really need to make some more... =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Know what you mean about the crust. Mine was a little thick which meant I had less room for custard/peaches. But still good. Yours looks just grat to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mamma mia Clivia ! Your bakes are great ! I used a smaller pie pan (8) so had many peaches and topping and not so much cream. Lots of love from roma !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum! Wish we lived closer...I would drop by for a slice of both!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that toffee glaze looks amazing. It's funny, I feel like I often have to much dough on the sides of my tarts. Regardless, pie season is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pies are my favourites, but I have problems with pastries, too. While your photos look great, I'm such a fan of fruit that I think they should always be the star of their desserts, and I'm not sure that's the case here. Ontario peaches are so great this year, I'm tempted just to eat them on their own!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My bottom crust was thick too. But still a good pie. Yours looks great.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.