Friday, October 22, 2010

FFwD - Hachis Parmentier

 I tried to capture the bubbling goodness that is this French version of shepherd's pie.  I seldom make a dish like this because my family prefers their meat and potatoes separately.  In fact, they thought the potato layer was too thick. 

The meat layer was very popular.  I've never used sausage meat in a dish.  The combination of ground beef and sweet Italian sausage was delicious.  I will definitely use this recipe again.

As you can see I added mixed vegetables including edamame, carrots and corn.  I also left the skin on the red potatoes.  For the cheese that was scattered over the potoates, I used Ementhal.
This is another wonderful recipe from Dorie Greenspan's new cookbook Around My French Table.  If you don't have it yet, I hope it's on your holiday wish list.

12 comments:

  1. Cliva I was looking for your post. YUMMY You certainly did catch the bubbling goodness with that picture. How was the edamane? Interesting

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of the extra veggies I am going to have to try that next time. Also your pie looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. bubbly cheese is always good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I would have added traditional veggies like my shepherd's pie usually has. But I'm glad I tried Dorie's recipe.
    I think no matter how you slice it, this was just not a photogenic dish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks so good! Im glad you loved it ..we did too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great. Lots of potatoes on top sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Hachis looks fabulously delish Clivia!! I love the addition of the vegetables!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you with the skin on the potatoes. I actually prefer my mashed potatoes that way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this was good wasn't it?? Definitely a keeper. Yours looks bubbly and delicious to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Funny, I was told the potato layer was too thick, also. :) Yours looks so good with the bubbly cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice post! We really liked this dish, thick potatoes and all. I left out the veggies, and it was still delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your additions sound great - I will definitely add vegetables next time (now that you experimented for us!).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.