Monday, October 25, 2010

Nanaimo Bars

I'm such a suggestible creature.  All it took was one simple question from a fellow blogger and baker Mike of Living Out West asking whether I had a recipe for Nanaimo Bars and I spiraled off into memories of this wonderful treat.

The Nanaimo Bar, if you'd never had the pleasure, is a no-bake Canadian tradition.  It's a three layer bar and the highlight is the middle which is a combination of icing sugar and custard powder.  Creamier than the centre of an Oreo, it's cloud of sweetness.  Variations abound.  From Bailey's Irish Cream to chili chocolate, anything can be added to this delicious centre layer.

I had to make them.  I want to make them again.  I hope you'll give them a try.

Nanaimo Bar Recipe

Bottom Layer
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
5 tbsp cocoa
1 egg beaten
2 cups graham wafer crumbs
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
1 cup coconut

Place softened butter, sugar, cocoa, vanilla and egg in a bowl.  Set the bowl over a pot of boiling water.  Stir well until the butter has melted and the mixture resembles thin custard.  Stir in crumbs, coconut, and nuts.  Press firmly into an ungreased 9" x 9" pan.  Put in fridge to cool while preparing the next layer.

Second Layer
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 tbsp cream
2 tbsp custard powder
2 cups icing sugar

Cream butter.  Mix custard powder and cream.  Add to butter.  Mix in icing sugar. Beat until light. Spread over bottom layer.  Return to fridge.

Third Layer
5 squares semi-sweet chocolate
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter

Melt chocolate and butter overlow heat. Cool. Once cool, but still liquid, pour over second layer and chill in refrigerator.  When set, cut into bars.

4 comments:

  1. This look absolutely delicious! x gloria

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these not long ago and they were heavenly. A Bailey's Irish Cream version sounds extra heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this recipe - I've never heard of them! What is custard powder? I am in the U.S. so maybe we don't have it here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After trying these for the first time in Victoria, I really want to make some for myself. Didn't realize they were no-bake. Yours look so scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.