Saturday, November 6, 2010

Sour Cream Chocolate Banana Bundt

I've been so busy I almost missed The Food Librarian's annual roundup of bundt cakes I Like Big Bundts.  If you haven't been to her blog recently, you must go see all the beautiful bundt cakes she's been making.  Some people like to go downtown and dream over the Christmas windows.  I prefer to go to The Food Librarian's blog and moon over the bundts.

I adapted her Sour Cream Pumpkin Bundt for my recipe.

Sour Cream Chocolate Banana Bundt
Streusel:
Cut butter into the sugar and spice until crumbly.
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons butter


Cake:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cocoa powder
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
4 large eggs, room temp
1 cup banana puree
8 oz or 1 cup sour cream

2 teaspoons vanilla extract


1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Prep 12-cup Bundt pan (I use Pam with Flour spray).
2. Make streusel and set aside.
3. Sift together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt in a bowl.
4. Cream sugar and butter together until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes with the paddle attachment).
5. Add eggs one at a time, scraping down sides of bowl.
6. Add banana, sour cream and vanilla.
7. With mixer on low, add in flour mixture until just combined.
8. Spoon half batter into pan.
9. Top with streusel mixture. Don't let streusel hit the sides of the pan.
10. Top with the rest of the batter.
11. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes until toothpick or skewer comes out clean.
12. Cool for 30 minutes in pan, then depan and cool completely.

13. Top with glaze of 2 ounces of melted bittersweet chocolate and 2 tablespoons of warm milk.

4 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful bundt cake!! I made the Marie-Helene Apple Cake last week, too, & it was really good. Your photos are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome!!! I love the adaptation with bananas! And that pan? It's amazing!

    Thank you for all your kind words about my crazy bundt obsession ;) - mary the food librarian

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, two of my favorite combos of flavors. And what a divine looking cake, National Bundt Cake Day also just happens to be my birthday. Celebrate good times...come on! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh yum! I happen to love chocolate and banana together. In addition, this cake has sour cream in it, which gives it double points in my book :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.