Tuesday, November 23, 2010

TWD - Chocolate Malted Whopper Drops

Why is this cookie monster staring at me?  Because I've waited two years to bake it.

There are some recipes that the Tuesdays with Dorie bakers refer to with reverence.  World Peace Cookies, Tribute to Katherine Hepburn Brownies, Tall and Creamy Cheesecake to name a few.  Another that fits this category is Chocolate Malted Whopper Balls.  The group baked these just before I joined.  For two years, I've heard these cookies mentioned in hushed tones.  They've become a standard against which the other cookie recipes are compared.

I was intimidated.  Also I wasn't sure about the use of Ovaltine in a cookie recipe.  But I hate to be left out of something special.  So I made the trip to the grocery store. 

If only I'd read the recipe more carefully, I would have known to buy two packages of Maltesers.  Since I only bought one, these turned into an "empty the goody drawer" cookie.  Peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips, half a bar of bitter chocolate with cocoa nibs, all went into the bowl.

The only other change I made was to use Becel instead of butter and omit the salt.  I didn't notice any difference in the batter or the taste.

Oh, that first bite!  The little malted milk ball goes crunch and disappears on my tongue.  Cookie delight.  The overall malted taste is very subtle, but I love the texture of the cookie.

I will definitely make these again with the proper amount of Maltesers and maybe even a few more.  The complete recipe, including the baking temperature of 350F that was left out of the cookbook, can still be found at Rachel's blog Confessions of a Tangerine Tart.  I encourage anyone who hasn't made these to grab that recipe and give them a try.
Here's last week's dessert Cranberry Lime Galette.  I love, love, love this recipe and have made it several times in the last two years.  The sweet flaky crust (so good on its own) is perfectly paired with the tart cranberries and lime.  A heaping of grated ginger adds a delicious punch.

The complete recipe, including Dorie's awesome crust, can be found at the blog of the wonderful ladies of Celestial Confections.

19 comments:

  1. mmm i be the "everything cookies" were great. a little something different in every bite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember making these and they were fantastic! Glad you got to make them finally! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum they look so good! The galette looks good too!
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading the beginning of your post makes me realize that I haven't made any of those famous recipes! I have a bit more rewinding to do! I bet I'd love these, as i used to be terribly addicted to Whoppers and Maltesers and love Ovaltine too. Hmm, what am I waiting for?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL - it is true that there are several recipes that have become legendary among TWD bakers. Your Whopper Drops look sooo inviting - I wanna jump right in and bite one now. I am yet to try the Whopper drops - must do so soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Empty The Goodie Drawer Cookie...love love love that! The guys were asking me the other day to make these again...just might need to do that here over the holidays when they are out of school and looking for food 14/7...teen boys are like that you know. Your cookies look wonderful, and I will never forget that name!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW. That galette is STUNNING.

    I have some Whoppers I need to use up. Maybe I should make these in the next rewind!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember how tasty these were. I just never seem to have time and repeat some of the cookies. etc.

    Love the new name for these - Empty the Drawer Cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These cookies were before my time too! They look delicious, as does your galette. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, yum! I've been dying to try those cookies for ages. I worry that I'd probably finish the malt candy before it made it to the cookies.

    The galette looks wonderful, too. Since two of us consumed the entire pan of cranberry shortbread the week before, I didn't get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't really eat cookies, I don't know why but they sure look tasty and I don't think I can ever make such yummy food

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been wanting to make those cookies too. They look delicious! I'll have to keep them in mind for the next rewind.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have yet to make either of these, but I think you sold me! Can one have too many desserts on Thanksgiving?? Hubby loves Whoppers so he will love these cookies.
    Love your photos. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chocolate malted whopper drops is one of the recipes that I have not make yet, and your yummilicious picture convinces me that I should give it a try soon! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I liked those Malted Whopper cookies and have made them a few times. Not sure about there, but here in the states there are peanut butter Whoppers, so I used those once. They were good. Nice rewind.

    I made Dorie's blueberry pie for T-day yesterday, but haven't posted it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These cookies are one of my absolute favorites. Now I amy have to make them again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks delicious but when it comes to cooking, I’m having second thoughts, it’s just that I am not so good at it; I really don’t have the magic to make such tasty food. Good for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yepper, those CMWD were a home run. And now you're making me hungry for one, or ten. I added about 50% more than called for and they were SO good.

    Anyway, I forgot to mention that the baking sheet I used that you commented on is made by "Doughmakers". You can google them to see if they're sold near you. I got mine at a bridal show, of all things. I do like them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am sure my daughter will love this. Anyway, thank you for sharing this recipe. Right now, I am thinking on cooking this one on weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.