Tuesday, November 9, 2010

TWD - Not-Just-For-Thanksgiving Cranberry Shortbread Cake

In the category of most surprisingly delicious dessert, this cake takes the cake.  The simplest of ingredients combine to make a dense fruit-filled treat.  It tasted like a freshly split sweet, eggier scone with homemade preserves slavered in the middle. 

As good as the cake is, the jam centre is the star.  Along with the package of cranberries, I used two orange rinds to get lots of fruit flavour.  I also added only the 3/4 cup of sugar and got the 1/4 cup of juice from the two oranges.

With the crispy top (I added a layer of turbino sugar and a sprinkling of lavender sugar), it was hard to decided when the bottom layer was fully cooked.  My oven is not hot, so I gave it 45 minutes.  In the photo you can see that the bottom looks iffy, but one bite proved that it was fully baked.

Many thanks to Jessica of the blog A Singleton In The Kitchen for choosing this one.  I might never have gotten to it otherwise and now it's going to be my travelling cake for the holidays.  I know that everyone whose house it arrives at will be thrilled.

Now, tell me - does my cake look like Pacman?

15 comments:

  1. Clivia I was just on my way here when your comment popped up on my blog. We must be on the same wavelength this morning. Your cake looks really delicious. I liked this the first day better than the second, though hubby thought it was great both times we have eaten a slice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look a little bit like Pacman!! But if you hadn't pointed that out I would have never thought about it :-) Lovely recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to make the cranberry jam. You make it sound top notch. I made blueberry which was also great.

    I made one cookie for my husband and I want to use this for cookies too. I love the crust or cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the jam was definitely the star! :) Pacman in a new environment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, that Pac-man cake is about to chomp on a whole bunch of little blue dots. Love it.
    I thought the cake was a lot more cookie like, but it was good enough that I did have to get it out of the house fast. I filled mine with caramelized apples.
    I would make this again with chocolate and caramel in the center. Surprise. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very much like Pac-man! It looks really even better than Pac-man! Love the idea of using more orange flavoring. Pretty plate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot about Pac-man! Yes it does. I love the idea of a 'traveling cake'. This was perfect, I love the tart red cranberry jam. And shortbread is always yummy, this had to be a great recipe.
    Since it was filled with fruit I ate a slice for breakfast. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lavendar sugar - now that sounds good! LOL, the last photo does look like Pacman. I liked this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your little Pac-Man cake. Turbinado and lavendar sugar sounds wonderful on this little cake.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sure it does - but I love the turbinado dusting. I used organic cane which was great, but turbinado always gives it that natural look. What a nice looking cake/tart! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha ha, Pac Man! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks perfect. I thought about turbinado sugar, but went with regular sugar this time. I'll try it next time. Love the pacman shot. =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your cake totally looks like pacman -- but that's a good thing! It looks delicious, and I agree with everyone that the turbinado was a great idea. Thanks for baking along with me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, but the most delicious PacMan ever! This might be my favorite TWD pick to date.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you to everyone who leaves a comment! I love reading them all.